Recording software

chet wisner
chet wisner
11/25/2009 6:55 am
I'm wanting to record solo acoustic and voice via the computer, without having to purchase expensive mixers. Nothing fancy, but would like to have some quality, then simply upload to YouTube.

I have currently a cheap mic that does well enough I think.

Can you recommend any free software?

thank you all,

chet
# 1
chrisweyers
chrisweyers
11/25/2009 8:55 am
I think Audacity may be free. But I've been using Reaper's free 30-day trial for about 2 months now, lol.
# 2
chet wisner
chet wisner
11/25/2009 8:31 pm
Thanks Chris. I do have audacity, but I'm darned if I know what to do with it. What I do is I make my video of my singing and playing, but with the cheap mic and cam I have, the quality isn't that great. One thing is the video, it's a bit out of sync as to the audio and video. My mic is Dynex DX54 and cam is logitech.

Anyhow, what am I supposed to be able to do with Audacity? Lame questions I know, but I appreciate any help.
# 3
chrisweyers
chrisweyers
11/25/2009 11:33 pm
Well, I've never actually used Audacity, myself, so I'm not sure I can help you too much. But for something like a simple youtube video, you should be able to do what you need with just your video editing software. But if you're really going for a professional look and sound, you may want more. Here's what I would try:

For a more simple video, record a few test runs and adjust cameras, mics, amps, speakers, whatever your using to find what creates the best sound. For me personally, I play electric and I like to play it loud. I had some speakers playing the backing track near me, perpendicular from the camera and loud enough that I could hear it, but low enough that it wasn't picked up by the mic too much (which was just the camera's built in mic). My amp was just a few feet away from the camera, but facing me. This way, it was picked up by the mic well, but it wasn't blowing it out. Later, when I edited the video, I put the back track on top of the video and set the volume so that everything sounded nice.

Now it sounds like you don't have all that equipment. If all your trying to do is play some acoustic and sing along, you should be able to do that just fine with just your camera and video editing software. I wouldn't even bring audacity into the picture.

However, If your going professional, nice backdrop, good lighting, all that, Then yes, you might want to play with audacity a bit. Since I don't know exactly what you have in mind, the simplest example would be the acoustic sing along, if it could all be done in one take. In this case, set everything up, and record the audio and video at the same time, render the audio from audacity (after editing it to your satisfaction) and put it over the video after deleting the video's original audio. You'll just have to do your best to get it in sync.

If it is more complicated than just playing and singing (harmonies or whatnot) what I would recommend is you record the whole song with audacity start to finish until your satisfied. Then record yourself playing along with it. Record playing all and with every part and harmony, everything you want in the video. Put them in your video editor, delete all the audio, slap your recording in there and tweak everything until it's in sync.

Wow, sorry that was so long. But I hope it helps
# 4
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
12/10/2009 5:30 am
None of the music recording softwares are just press record and go - They all require some level of learning and experimentation to be able to create a decent recording. the simplest solutions are standalone digital recorders which also have built-in mics that work decent, like the Boss MicroBR which can be had for around $150. I have a Boss BR-600 which has a lot of capability for $300 but it still takes a bit of time to create a song from start to finish. But the nice thing is once you get familiar with it, you can lay down a guitar track very easily, which is great if you come up with an idea you want to capture. As far as sofwares go, Tracktion 3 by Mackie is probably the most user friendly, but they are all a bit complex
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 5
frankmaghler
frankmaghler
05/08/2023 9:57 am

Hello all,

Yes, there are many free software options available for recording solo acoustic and voice on your computer. 

Audacity - Audacity is a free and open-source audio editing software that allows you to record, edit and mix your audio tracks. It's a popular choice for beginners and offers many features for editing and enhancing your recordings.

GarageBand - If you have a Mac, GarageBand comes pre-installed and is a great option for recording acoustic and vocal tracks. It's intuitive to use and offers many built-in effects and tools for editing your recordings.

WavePad - WavePad is a free audio editing software that allows you to record and edit your audio tracks. It offers many features for enhancing your recordings, such as noise reduction and EQ adjustments.

Ocenaudio - Ocenaudio is a free and easy-to-use audio editing software that offers many features for recording and editing your tracks. It's a great option for beginners and offers many built-in effects and tools for enhancing your recordings.

LMMS - LMMS is a free and open-source digital audio workstation that allows you to create and edit your own music tracks. It offers many features for recording and editing your audio tracks and is a great option if you want to create more complex music compositions.

All of these software options should be able to work well with your current cheap microphone and help you create high-quality recordings to upload to YouTube.

# 6
frankmaghler
frankmaghler
05/19/2023 11:14 am

Here are a few free software options for recording solo acoustic and voice:

Audacity: Audacity is a free and open-source audio editor and recording software. It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Audacity is a powerful tool that can be used to record, edit, and mix audio. It also has a number of effects that can be used to improve the sound of your recordings.

GarageBand: GarageBand is a free music creation software that is available for Mac. GarageBand is a great option for beginners as it is easy to use and has a number of features that can be used to create professional-sounding recordings.

Cakewalk by Bandlab: Cakewalk by Bandlab is a free digital audio workstation (DAW) that is available for Windows. Cakewalk is a powerful tool that can be used to record, edit, and mix audio. It also has a number of effects that can be used to improve the sound of your recordings.

Looking for a free and easy way to record solo acoustic and voice, Audacity is a great option. If you are looking for a free music creation software with a bit more features, GarageBand is a great option. And if you are looking for a free DAW with a lot of features, Cakewalk by Bandlab is a great option.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.