need help buying my first electric!!!

miked520
miked520
01/17/2002 8:30 pm
I've had an acoustic for a while now, and I'm branching out into the world of electricity. What can you recommend for a beginner electric guitar and amp? I would like something that I won't out-grow in a month or that constantly breaks on me, but at the same time, my budget is tight. I'm thinking of spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-$300....is that completely unreasonable for what I want? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/18/2002 3:34 pm
Well Mike, here's what I suggest, go down to the local music store, play a few different types of guitars to get an idea of what you like, find out what your comfortable with, look at the amps, play thru whatever strikes your fancy, talk to someone there who is knowledgable enough to tell you about the amps you like, after doing all that you will have an idea of what you are looking for, now search every local newspaper, classified, pawn shop, thrift store etc... do your homework, save more money if you can, there are thousands of barely used-used guitars and amps out there, for the money you are willing to spend, you will have to do some work to find them, but stay paitient and keep hunting! Good Luck!
# 2
James8831
James8831
01/18/2002 5:58 pm
with pstring

Amen.

PS. Please try to remember that it ain't what it says on the headstock, but what it says to your hands (man) :D
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/18/2002 7:20 pm
You don't need to blow a huge pile on an amp. A Fender Blues Junior or a Pignose is all you need. The world is full of fools who think they just have to have 100 Watts in order to be taken seriously. (I used to be one of them). You can pick pick up one of their 'cast-offs' cheap, and have a much more usable system.

James8831 is absolutely right about brand names on guitars. The name has nothing to do with the sound. The materials and skill that went into making it, and how you feeel when you play it, are what count.

One of the sweetest guitars I own is one I found in a pawnshop. It was missing the covers for the control chamber and the truss rod adjuster. There is no name or marking of any kind on it anywhere. And the sound is wonderful.

Happy hunting!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
miked520
miked520
01/20/2002 6:50 pm
Thanks for your advice, dudes! I appreciate it!

Mike
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.