I WANT YOUR HELP PLEASE!

sadromanticghost
sadromanticghost
01/17/2002 1:17 pm
..WELL IAM PLAYING GUITAR FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS..CLASSICAL GUITAR..NOW I AM TRYING TO LEARN ELECTRIC FOR ABOUT 1 YEAR..BUT I CAN NOT PLAY WITH THE PICK VERY FAST..ONLY SOME SLOW LICKS..THERE ARE TIMES I PLAY A SOLO FOR MANY HOURS ...AND I MANAGE TO PLAY IT..BUT THE OTHER DAY MY HANDS STUCK IN THE SAME SOLO..AND I CAN NOT PLAY ANYTHING..I ALSO USE A METRONOME..WHAT I DO WRONG?..I KNOW VERY WELL TO PLAY WITH MY LEFT HAND BUT I CAN NOT WITH MY RIGHT WHICH IS HOLDING THE PICK ..IS THERE A SOLUTION IN MY PROBLEM...OR I HAVE TO THROW MY GUITAR FROM THE WINDOW??HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
none
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/17/2002 8:55 pm
Lots of great electric players use their fingers. Why do you want to use a pick in the first place?

Mark KNOPFLER, Chet ATKINS,among others, use only their fingers, which allows them to have control over their dynamics and tone. So unless you need to rip through metal rhythms, just use the technique you learnt on the classical guitar...
# 2
trebledamage
trebledamage
01/18/2002 2:21 am
If your having a problem playing fast, its probably because you tense up when you use the pick. First thing is first. You have to make sure you are holding the pick properly. Check out one of the many beginner guitar books in a local music store. That should have a diagram of how to hold a pick properly. Second, when you pick, you should be using your whole arm (especially your elbow and to a lesser extent your shoulder), not just your wrist. Third, you have to try and relax when you pick. Tensing up will slow you down without fail. Picking should feel very natural, not something that you have to consciously apply.

The other thing that could be slowing you down is that most people have an easier time picking in downward strokes than upward strokes. Your downward and upward strokes should be even. This inequity in picking could also slow you down. If you find that this is your problem, then take a piece of music every day and play that piece using only one particular type of picking stroke. For example, if your upward picking is your weakness, then take a piece of music and play it using only upstrokes. It will be really awkward at first, but if you keep at it, you will eventually get comfortable with it and in time you notice your picking deficiency diminish.

[Edited by trebledamage on 01-17-2002 at 09:26 PM]
:cool:
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.