hit a dead end

gmixstudios
gmixstudios
10/18/2009 5:11 pm
Hi there i am trying to get up to speed of satriani etc and practicing finger per fret at like 150 bpm and starting to flag any tips to get me up to speed? :confused:
# 1
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
10/19/2009 9:01 am
Hey gmixstudios,
I'm still trying to build more speed in rolls, and some other stuff too. The simplest solution, is often the hardest to do. All you need to do is slow it down, after you get it right the speed will come. See while playing it slowly, your fingers are learning what to do and it also makes it easier to play. You will notice that eventually you will be able to play it faster, this way it won't be so frustrating to you. Cut the speed in half at first, and see if you can play it there. If you can play it there comfortably, then speed up the tempo. This will let you know what tempo to practice at, and will also let you set a goal to reach.

You must have been playing a while to tackle anything by Satriani, and I know you think you should be able to play it up to speed right away. Just slow it down some, and I think you will see results, and not feel like you can't go any further. Just give it a try, and let me know how it goes.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/19/2009 1:08 pm
Originally Posted by: gmixstudiosHi there i am trying to get up to speed of satriani etc and practicing finger per fret at like 150 bpm and starting to flag any tips to get me up to speed? :confused:

What are you saying you can do at 150 BPM? 1 note per beat? 2? 4?

Ultimately, JD's answer is the right one. It's not the most exciting one, or the one people like to hear, though.

SLOW DOWN! And play everything as precisely as you can, with proper mechanics. Then try to gradually increase speed over time. How much? As much as it takes.

You can help yourself though by improving and streamlining your technique whereever possible (pick and fret with less pressure, don't squeeze the neck, etc.).

Best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
10/19/2009 9:16 pm
Originally Posted by: gmixstudiosHi there i am trying to get up to speed of satriani etc and practicing finger per fret at like 150 bpm and starting to flag any tips to get me up to speed? :confused:

As others have said, just saying 150BPM does not clarify the goal. When Most shredders say 150bpm, they mean 16th notes(4 counts per beat) or even 16th note triplets(6 notes per beat), which is pretty fast.
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.