practice routine

gmixstudios
gmixstudios
10/17/2009 3:29 pm
can anyone reccomend a practice routine? I am trying to get fast but dont want to kill my hands in the mean time
also is it going to be hard as i use a les paul
# 1
Dirty Bill
Dirty Bill
10/17/2009 4:12 pm
I usually do some hand stretching exercises first. Then I make sure the guitar is in tune. I practice scales after that for a warm up. How long you do that is up to you..

Then I work on whatever lesson I am on.When I get tired of doing that, I shift to learning a song,I always have one to work on. That way when the lesson gets tedious you can take a break from it,then go back to it,instead of frying your brain.

This may not be the right way to do it,but that's how I'm doing it at this point. I'm sure there will be better answers for you from more experienced musicians.

Keep practicing...... :cool:

Always capitalize "BLUES"

# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
10/17/2009 4:52 pm
Question: Why would it be hard(er) with a Les Paul vs. anything else? I wish I was as "unfortunate" as you! ;)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
Dirty Bill
Dirty Bill
10/17/2009 5:45 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboQuestion: Why would it be hard(er) with a Les Paul vs. anything else? I wish I was as "unfortunate" as you! ;)

Those les pauls are really nasty,he should donate it to me.... :D :cool:

Always capitalize "BLUES"

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/18/2009 11:58 pm
Originally Posted by: gmixstudioscan anyone reccomend a practice routine? I am trying to get fast but dont want to kill my hands in the mean time
also is it going to be hard as i use a les paul

Routine? To be honest, do whatever makes you want to continue playing. Don't make a/the routine such that it becomes a chore. Playing is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. The journey will always be a matter of constant learning so you want to set the precedent of how you practice now with a matter of how much you enjoy it when you pick up the guitar every time.

That said, this was my historical regimen from 'back when'...except for the GT part since there was no internet in the 80's: (1) Warm up exercises (run through scales etc) (2) Applying a learned concept (ie - you just got done watching a GT tutorial tutorial) (3) Learning a popular riff (4) Noodle-o-rama (this is the part where I just let rip for the fun of it)

The thing I lacked when I had such a regimen was a focus on understanding theory. I learned scales and had an ear enough to apply them but didn't understand what went on 'behind' the concepts. Playing is good but I think I would have been better if I had understood better what my ear knew to do

My first guitar was a '69 Les Paul Deluxe and it suited me just fine as a first guitar so, I don't think so.... :D
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.