View post (Getting into the Music Industry)

View thread

lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/14/2002 8:18 pm
Ok hear what I have to say...

If you want to work your butt off, and you think you've got what it takes, go for it. Here's some basics (it's not a MUST have, but it helps greatly nowadays)

Unless you (or your singer, or you girlfriend who plays the bass), look like a model you'll never be in a top 40 band. Just rely on clubs, or sessions. You can make good money, but it takes dedication to your craft. You are 17, and I know you have a lot. But sometimes with years, it wears off.

You need to have good music reading skills. You'll get some last minutes contracts where you'll have to learn 15 songs for the next day. That kind of contrats are the most lucrative ones.Of course, in the studio, it's a must have.

You must be a team player. If you think about your solo and your hotel room, you won't stay long in the business. Listen to what others have to say, try to see why they tell you so. However good you are, people don't give a damn. If someone hires you, it's to make his band/record/etc. sound good. And LOTS of other guys can do that. So rely on your social skills, not on how good you can play 'eruption' single handedly.

Give your Ego some vacations. When music is a hobby, you can say 'that sucks'. When you are a pro, you need to be able to play in the style you think is so lame and poor, and better than others...

Network. Go in jams, talk around you, play, play PLAY!!! When you play with someone, think about making HIM sound good. He'll call you back, if he's a real pro.

Here's a book that has taught me a LOT

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0634006444/qid=1011039256/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_7_1/103-6584464-8823819

Don't forget, playing music professionally is WAY better than any other job, for us musicians. But you have to treat it as a job, and not a hobby, otherwise, you'll finally stay in a day job...
Good luck!