true bypass

hdfatboy92
hdfatboy92
09/27/2009 10:59 pm
Hi,
I am just starting to get into effects pedals and have heard about "true bypass". I have a danelectro pedal board with all Cool Cat pedals that are true bypass. I think that means they just pass the signal through to the next pedal when a pedal is off. I also have a vox wah pedal. I have heard about Wah pedals disrupting your tone or volume because they are not true bypass. My specific question would be can I put my wah pedal in line with my other effects pedals and should it be first in line or last. Also I have a pedal tuner. Can this go in line and is there a special position it should be in? Thanks to anyone who can help me.
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
09/28/2009 1:40 am
You're right about 'true-bypass', it's just sending the unaffected signal on down to the next box without entering the circuitry of the pedal you're bypassing. If you're using a wah in you effects chain, I don't think it matters where it is, it's still there and I don't think the difference in tone is great. The best test is your own ear, try the wah up front, then at the end of the chain and see if you notice any difference. Personally, I put my wah on the right because I use my right foot to 'wah'.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
hdfatboy92
hdfatboy92
09/28/2009 4:15 pm
Hi Neal,
Thanks for the input. It makes sense for the wah to be at the end. I will try it out that way. Thanks.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/30/2009 1:52 am
A general rule of thumb is to put distortion effects first in the chain, and time-based effects like delay and chorus at the amplifier end.

Wah is a kind of EQ, which can go anywhere in the path. You will find that placement does make a big difference in the final sound, but there is no such thing as 'right' or 'wrong'. Feel free to experiment. And let your ears be your guide.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.