Just curious...

jcotter13
jcotter13
09/21/2009 7:45 pm
Am I weird? I"m a lefty who plays right handed. When I first started plunking on a guitar years ago, it was a family member's right handed acoustic. By the time I really started to take the guitar seriously, I'd gotten used to playing right handed, so I just stuck with it. I was just wondering how common/uncommon this is. When It came time for me to buy my own 1st guitar, I'd already learned how to play a bit right handed. Plus lefty guitars tend to limit ones selection in the music store. So I just stuck with it & learned to play righty.
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/21/2009 8:12 pm
I'm right handed, but I play hockey & golf left handed. ...Not that that answers anything about your question.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/21/2009 8:22 pm
You definitely made a good decision by learning to play RH guitar. Not that there is anything wrong with playing left handed, but as you say, it really limits your choice of instruments.

I don't know why we have decided that your main hand (?!?!) is the one you strum and pick with. Think about it: you're doing something that's very complicated in both hands, so whichever hand you pick for what side of the guitar doesn't really matter.

I met an Italian guitar player once (performed with all kinds of world famous people) who was right handed and played left handed guitar.

I asked him about it, and he said that he just didn't know how he was "supposed" to do it, when he first taught himself. And that was the way that came naturally to him.

So don't worry, you're not weird!

Anders
# 3
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
09/21/2009 9:43 pm
I am a lefty who plays RH. When I wanted to learn, I naturally figured I needed a Left Handed guitar, but after limited choices, went with a RH Guitar. I ultimately learned right handed - As others have said, on guitar your 2 hands are doing different things so I am not sure there is one dominante hand.
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.