Yngwie style

01/13/2002 6:22 pm
In your own opinion. Did Malmsteen invented something or just applyied classical runs and techniques to the rock world.

I personnaly think he introduced a really good style. But I still have the feeling he didn't invent something new.
# 1
thunderkiss65
thunderkiss65
01/14/2002 8:49 am
Yngwie has done something different in my opinion. At least for the modern generation. Definitely one of my favorite guitarists of all time. I have yet to hear somebody match his musical styling, besides the composers who originated the style. The thing is, it is different on elecric guitar with the metal background. Simply put, Yngwie is the man.
# 2
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/14/2002 4:42 pm
Like I've said in another thread, Yngwie is to neo classical music what Van Halen has been to tapping.
Meaning that he did not really invent or discover it, but made it stand as a style on its own, and made it a breakthrough.

The first time I heard him, I nearly fainted because of the speed he achieved. It's too bad he is such an asshole (as you can hear in interviews) because he would have worked with great people and he would now be a legend, instead of a "former king of shred"...
Lots of players nowadays owe him so much!! As someone put (I think it was John PETRUCCI) "he sounds like Al di Meola, but playing metal"... He has turned heads enough to make lots of classical music hip, and to broaden influences...
# 3

01/14/2002 5:07 pm
As you say it so well Lalimace, he really as a personality problem.

Being so good yet I would never want to speak to the guy.

It's a shame. He was a role model for me until I heard an interview.
# 4
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/14/2002 7:51 pm
Originally posted by Benoit
Lalimace, really so good It's a shame.

I know!!
I'd sure love jamming with him... When he is sober that is...
# 5
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
01/15/2002 12:34 am
he too is one of my favorite guitarists, but i too don't care for his ego, i'd really like to learn from him. just of of curiosity does anybody know any good exercises for him.

anyways, of my favorite guitarists, i would have to lean more towards Randy Rhoads, he has a similar style as malmsteen (with a little bit more metal), and with rhoads you don't get the ego thing.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 6

01/15/2002 1:03 am
Hey zepp_rules,

you can always go to my website I posted 3 recurrent pattern Malmsteen uses often in his solos.

Look around there may be other exercises you would like.

http://guitarsession.tripod.com
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.