Practice amp suggestions with how I want to use it

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/11/2009 8:40 pm
Hey all...
I already have a peavey valveking 100w half stack.

I'm looking at either selling it and replacing it with a smaller amp or adding to it... Either way....

Here's the deal.

I want a smaller solid state amp. Something that does not necessarily have all the modeling in it. Something that will allow me to use my various pedals. Something that has a headphone jack. I'm really interested in something that has a 12" speaker, at least 50 watts and has a supurb clean channel that wont muck with the tones I'm seeking out of my pedals. On top of my pedals, I have my podx3 that i can use for amp and cab modling if I wanted.

Not sure how important an affects loop would be. My valveking has one, but now sure how important it would be.

I've been looking at the Peavey Vypyr series, but open to other things.

Ultimatly, I'm persuing that 80's rock tone. Brown sound. Think :

Dokken
Van Halen
AC/DC
Tesla

ect. ect....
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/18/2009 3:27 pm
Well, rather than buy a new amp, I'm going to just use my old 1969 Kustom Amp.

It's an all solid state amp, all analog. I didn't want to use it for a while, it sounded crappy. Lots of crackle and it has a blown channel. But, after the wife corrected my thinking on buying a new amp, i really was left with no choice... I've decieded to just get this one fixed. So, I bought some contact cleaner and sprayed the pots and contact plugs. That really did help... But there are other issues with it still. Like the blown right channel. And the fact that with my pedals plugged in, when I turn the volume all the way down, it's still producing sound loud enough that I can't play it while everyone is in bed sleeping.

So I have it in the shop right now. I think when it gets back from the shop, I will start looking into updating the caps. At 40 years old, I'm sure some of the caps have got to be in bad shape.

I will say this about it.. Despite it being all solid state, it does NOT have that digital sound to it which is cool. There are not chips in this amp at all. All analog circuits using old school electronics.

Also... This thing is friggen LOUD. Plus... It's really exactly what I needed anyway. I didn't want a modeling amp, don't need one. I have pedals I will be using. So, as long as this can produce a nice clean tone, I should be set.

Here's a pic with one of my guitars. Don't plan on using the pod with it though.

# 2
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/18/2009 3:36 pm
ooops, double post.
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/18/2009 5:12 pm
I dig that cabinet! What's in it, 2 x 10?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/18/2009 5:20 pm
Yeah... 2 x 10... Loud...

Gunna also add a headphone circuit to it.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.