mexican made stratocaster

dave craig
lefty gone crazy
dave craig
lefty gone crazy
09/02/2009 10:33 am
i was on a budget when i bought this left handed model im very happy with it considering i got it for 400 US at guitar center. There is not alot out here for us lefty's so can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of these made guitars
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/02/2009 12:27 pm
Sounds like a moot point!

One theory I find interesting is the wage disparity between Mexico & the US. The way manufactured goods are assessed as being "produced" in one country or another is based on cost of production. So the folks working for very small salaries in Mexico do the production of the instrument, then ship it to the US and get it Inspected by a guy making $200k per year. This shifts the cost of production to the US side, making it a Made in America guitar. I'm told this is exactly the reason Fender moved it's production facilities near the US/Mexico border.

That's third party info that I can't verify, but it's interesting.

Other differences might be more concrete. I am no expert, but I hound websites looking for parts for my builds and I've noticed certain things like a bridge, for example, for a MIM would have steel chromed saddles while the MIA version would have stainless steel. The switch might have steel vs. brass contacts ...Things like that.

I'm glad you asked the question. I'll be interested to see more experienced opinions.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/02/2009 7:53 pm
Dave, I moved your thread because the Review section is reserved for reviews of gear that people have owned long enough to be able to describe their faults and their positive attributes.

General questions about gear are better suited to this section of the forum. You're more likely to get useful answers here.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.