Do you know this guitar?

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/19/2009 9:55 pm
Does anyone know this guitar? I've been searching and searching... All I can find is one on Ebay selling for $300, which I doubt it's worth, since I have this one plus a little amp for $70 :). (It's for the workshop, subject to environmental extremes I would not put a (known to be) decent guitar thru.)

I found other Kingstons that were very vintage made by Tiesco, I do not think this is one of them. Nor do I think it's of the MTD line. If anyone had info, such as where and when made it would be appreciated. Thanks!!

...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/21/2009 11:50 am
Just an FYI in case anyone finds one and considers buying. As I mentioned, there is one on Ebay listed at $300. This Kingston is not remotely worth that much and has nothing to do with either vintage Tiesco's or MTD. It's a cheap Indonesian special made from indeterminate woods and pretty crappy hardware.

It actually sounds very good, I think due to the rather hot single coils on it (7.5k ohm). After some set up, it plays pretty good, too.

It's a cheap guitar, but ironically, is just what I was looking for. My Workshop is serious Manland with stereo, tv, dvd, and all the fixin's but I wouldn't want to leave a valuable guitar out there. (Too much dust & potential damage when working.)

Although I would have rather have found it for $20 at a yardsale, it suits my purpose. Cheaper than building one, and extends my impulsive playing to a place where I spend significant time. ...And those interesting pick ups! Hmmm, they might just end up in some new build. :)
# 2
CEG
CEG
08/30/2009 1:26 pm
A book I have states that Kingston quit making guitars in '67. At least the original company. Of course look at Danelectros, Silvertones, etc... they are all being remade by other companies once the trademark became free (or not).

I imagine there is a guitar factory in Indonesia that indiscriminately applies a once known name to headstocks.

As long as you like it that is all that matter.
:)
I play a cheap electric guitar.
C.E.G.
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/30/2009 11:11 pm
In fact, I am quite digging it. I get a lot of 10 minutes sessions when I'm on smoke break and sometimes I just forget to come in for a while just jamming out there. :)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.