Barre's with 3rd finger

SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
08/05/2009 9:07 pm
Aaaargghh!

I'm really struggling with getting an 'A' shape barre chord where you use the 3rd finger to fret the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings.

I am at the point where I'm practising hard to be able to quickly change between the Em, E and Am shape barre chords and I'm confident that eventually I'll master it. I can hold a barre chord pretty well it's just moving them around quickly that I'm working on.

BUT I'm not sure I'll ever be comfortable with using my 3rd finger to barre an 'A' shape! Up to now I've been cramming my 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers in to the one fret as you do with an open A chord but that is almost impossible beyond the 5th fret. I've been ignoring the 3rd finger barre up to now but it keeps on cropping up and I'm feeling it's something that I'll never master.....

Help! Shall I just ignore it and come back to it later or should I strengthen my finger by carrying all my shopping bags with my 3rd finger all the time? :eek:
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
08/05/2009 11:37 pm
That was one of the last chords I could master because it took a long time to bend the third finger in a way that the e string would ring out and the b string was still fretted but I got it eventually. It does take the strength but also takes flexibilty, hang in there and keep working it it..it will come!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
08/07/2009 11:04 am
What I'd like is a way of building up progressively from easy beginnings. I know there are barre chord lessons but is there a series of lessons on barres with other than the index finger?
I know that I'll get it eventually (says he, being positive) I just want help as well as encouragement.

Cheers
# 3
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
08/23/2009 8:25 pm
If you form the chord for five minutes and just slide it around

it'll soom become automatic
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 4
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
09/14/2009 7:52 pm
In answer to my own question -

Originally Posted by: SlickString I know there are barre chord lessons but is there a series of lessons on barres with other than the index finger?

The answer is yes, here in these 2 lessons -

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11787&c_id=5&ch_id=25&s_id=521

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11906&c_id=5&ch_id=26&s_id=563

In both of them the high e string isn't involved so it doesn't matter if it's being muted while 3rd finger barre technique/strength is practised and developed. Once that's achieved it should be possible to progress to holding the 3rd finger barre and letting the high e string sound out.

That's my plan anyway....
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.