Which one should i get? (Marshall)

caponi14
caponi14
07/29/2009 9:26 pm
Hello everyone :) love the site

I have been thinking alot about which Marshall amp i should get, since im pretty much into Rock im going for Marshall. But my question is this- which Marshall amp should i get? Im aiming for the kinda Slash tone just to try it out, since im a big fan of that man. I heard an interview with him where he tells that his tone is not really that complex.. (i find that statement a little strange tho, since everyone is trying to get it, but many fails)

I heard that the Marshall JCM 800, 100 Watts lead, is really one of a kind?

Is that the one im should go for?

So which one should i get? (Im not aiming for modern rock tone at all :confused: , i prefer the 80's tone :) )
# 1
SlikNick
SlikNick
08/06/2009 7:29 pm
hi, my take on this is that marshalls are really expensive. i have a line 6 and it is great is has tons of effects and amp models. for instance a 120W spider 3 has lots effects based on marshall amps from back in the 70s. so technicaaly line six put marshal effects into their amp and created an amp for a lower cost. conclusion: i would go with line 6 instead of marshall and save some money
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/07/2009 1:29 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14Hello everyone :) love the site

I have been thinking alot about which Marshall amp i should get, since im pretty much into Rock im going for Marshall. But my question is this- which Marshall amp should i get? Im aiming for the kinda Slash tone just to try it out, since im a big fan of that man. I heard an interview with him where he tells that his tone is not really that complex.. (i find that statement a little strange tho, since everyone is trying to get it, but many fails)

I heard that the Marshall JCM 800, 100 Watts lead, is really one of a kind?

Is that the one im should go for?

So which one should i get? (Im not aiming for modern rock tone at all :confused: , i prefer the 80's tone :) )

Slash gets his tone the old fashioned way. Volume. Old style Marshalls like the JCM's are ably get that punchy rough tone by playing them loud. I don't suspect that he uses distortion but likely either the overdrive from the amp or a simple pedal like a tube screamer (not that I know). Still, the point is that all the great old school tone of Marshalls really needs to have volume.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.