Introduction

SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
07/22/2009 2:24 pm
Hi all

I've been a member of GT for almost 2 months now.
I started guitar back when I was a teenager but really just messed about. It just seemed too hard and as the years went by I messed around with keyboards but never really made much progress (lthough looking back at videos I made of me playing at home I was pleasantly surprised at the fact that I used to be able to string together a tune or two).
But then I got way too busy with work and although I still had the music in me I never played guitar or keyboard for years. My son took up guitar and he just blew me into the weeds and I sort of gave up hope on the playing front.
I was at his house a year ago and picked up my old classical acoustic (that I bought when I was about 15) that I'd "lent" him . I played a few chords, you know the very basic stuff and he said he thought it was great that after all those years I could still remember the chords and I sort of thought, well, maybe I ought to get a new guitar just for fun.
I bought an acoustic and started working through Hal Leonard's Guitar Method and was pleased to finally focus on playing. I got my fingers calloused up for the first time ever (up until then I gave up when my finger tips hurt and the skin started peeling so that says lots about my staying power!). I got to the end of book 2.

A few months ago I took early retirement and my treat to myself for all the years of graft was an American Standard Fender Stratocaster! Me with an electric guitar!! It seemed to be too good to believe!! I never thought I would own one. After all, it's only other people who qualify to own one...
I was then very much hooked and started looking on the internet for inspiration. That's when I found GT and after a bit of humming and ha'ing I joined up. I'm now at the end of the Fundamentals 2 and having enjoyed Christopher Schlegel's teaching I can't wait to get stuck into Rock Course 1!!!
Thanks Christopher!

This is so great, I wish when I was a kid I'd made more headway but in those days there wasn't so much available and I felt I wasn't talented enough, so that was it really. All those (guitar-wise) wasted years!
Anyway, I've gone on way too long but once you get started, you know how it is..
Great to be a member and looking forward to branching out into all the possibilities. It's never too late.
All the best to the team.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/22/2009 4:21 pm
Greetings and welcome. It's kind of sad to hear people starting, then giving up music for many years. Music was "my soul" for all my life until 30, when I decided I had to "get with the program" since I was clearly never going to be a rock star lol. I literally quit music. Everything. I don't think I even bought a CD for 15 years.

I'm glad I did some mental house cleaning eventually and picked up an instrument again.

Now I have a bit of an "aquisition syndrome" and am always scanning Kijiji, Ebay & the like for guitars & parts. All the "I-bought-this-2-years-ago-and-it's-only-been-out-of-the-box-5-times" stories also make me sad.

I think music is fundamentally beyond and apart from anything else in life, and I don't know how to explain it, either. It just is. So, I'm glad to hear your story and know another has returned to their roots!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2009 5:50 pm
Welcome to the site. And back to the guitar. :)
Originally Posted by: PlaylikeyaheroI'm now at the end of the Fundamentals 2 and having enjoyed Christopher Schlegel's teaching I can't wait to get stuck into Rock Course 1!!! Thanks Christopher!

You are welcome. Best of success with it. Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Spooky953
Spooky953
07/23/2009 5:20 am
That is a great story, thank you for sharing. I work in a music store as my day job, and one of my favourite things about that job is that I get to see people discovering, or re-discovering the guitar every day. I am just glad I get to be a small part of that.
# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/23/2009 12:43 pm
Sounds like you and the guitar were meant to be!

Welcome - and thanks for telling your story.
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.