Struggling with mix

333maxwell
333maxwell
07/13/2009 11:23 pm
A little country type ditty I just finished (but am still kind of in the process of mixing) with a young lady named Jennifer Pearl.

This one fought me every step of the way.. still is actually..

If anyone has any thoughts on how to clean up this mix would be it would be much appreciated..

Doesn't really sound like it, but there is a LOT going on in this one and they dynamics and trying to get it to work has been a real #&$&~!!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=676362&songID=7828134
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/13/2009 11:58 pm
The primary thing I noticed was the bass line was a little bit buried. The alternating-type line like in a country song needs the bass to be every so slightly more prominent in the mix. It doesn't need to be much more than it is but as low as it is now, the song loses its propulsion. My opinion is that the key instrument in this song is the bass and the all fall after that.

The vocals were a bit up front. Not by a lot. I almost get the sense that she is 'on top' of the mic. Ya know...too immediate and the mic/track almost seems to be on the verge of clipping. I'm not convinced but I think that kind of issue might be helped with her slightly less in the mix. Obviously she is the key to the song so I'm not thinking to bury her in the mix but just a little lower to take off the immediacy.

Reality is, it's not a bad mix at all. It's a pretty rock solid mix so the things I mention above are just detail but are things that my ear hears. Otherwise, all the other instrumentation is really well done and mixed. There is a lot going on and a 'simple' country some like usually has lots going on but doesn't seem that way. It's kind of the magic of that type of song.

Very good stuff.
# 2
333maxwell
333maxwell
07/14/2009 1:05 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65The primary thing I noticed was the bass line was a little bit buried. The alternating-type line like in a country song needs the bass to be every so slightly more prominent in the mix. It doesn't need to be much more than it is but as low as it is now, the song loses its propulsion. My opinion is that the key instrument in this song is the bass and the all fall after that.

The vocals were a bit up front. Not by a lot. I almost get the sense that she is 'on top' of the mic. Ya know...too immediate and the mic/track almost seems to be on the verge of clipping. I'm not convinced but I think that kind of issue might be helped with her slightly less in the mix. Obviously she is the key to the song so I'm not thinking to bury her in the mix but just a little lower to take off the immediacy.

Reality is, it's not a bad mix at all. It's a pretty rock solid mix so the things I mention above are just detail but are things that my ear hears. Otherwise, all the other instrumentation is really well done and mixed. There is a lot going on and a 'simple' country some like usually has lots going on but doesn't seem that way. It's kind of the magic of that type of song.

Very good stuff.

Jeff.. I appreciate your time.. of course now you have me a bit freaked out.. as I just remixed and I dropped the bass down just a tiny bit but brought the Bass drum UP.. but I also brought down the two guitars and backup vocals and took the mastering off and ran it direct naked from the mixer, hopefully adding a bit of breathing room and dynamics?

If you get the chance would you have a qick re-kisten left in you?
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/14/2009 3:14 am
Originally Posted by: 333maxwellJeff.. I appreciate your time.. of course now you have me a bit freaked out.. as I just remixed and I dropped the bass down just a tiny bit but brought the Bass drum UP.. but I also brought down the two guitars and backup vocals and took the mastering off and ran it direct naked from the mixer, hopefully adding a bit of breathing room and dynamics?

If you get the chance would you have a qick re-kisten left in you?

Good move on giving it breathing room. Seems to have helped the immediacy of the vocals. I'm guessing the vocal clipping vibe was from the compression?

I do like the 'lesser' guitar too. Didn't know it until I heard it but noticed some other nice parts in the instrumentation after that remix.

I will be stubborn on the bass line. I do think it did open up the bas line once you dropped the guitars but I think it still needs that bass line pushing to forward if just a little. I think it's that historical sound my ears pine to hear ;)

Still, likey this update much better.
# 4
333maxwell
333maxwell
07/15/2009 4:31 pm
Thanks Jeff....

I am trying to incorporate some of the advice into the newest mix..

Appreciate the time.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.