relative minor

gmixstudios
gmixstudios
07/07/2009 11:26 am
hi there, i am reading the pink theory book and i see each maj has a relative minor
could you advise me how i would put that to practical use? say I was in G Maj and i played chords i ii iv v
would i then jam the relative minor over the top? what confuses me is the relative min is not in the key of G so how does it work?

would i be right in saying the relative min is aeolian scale?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/07/2009 12:40 pm
Originally Posted by: gmixstudioshi there, i am reading the pink theory book and i see each maj has a relative minor
could you advise me how i would put that to practical use?

Every major scale has it's own relative minor scale. The relative minor has the same exact notes as it's parent scale; the major scale from which it is derived. But since it starts on a different note, it has the minor scale formula; there are a different set of internal intervals.

You can find the relative minor by starting on the 6th scale degree of the major scale. Another method, start on the root note of any scale and move down 3 frets.

Examples:

G major notes:

g-a-b-c-d-e-f#

Start on 6th scale degree for relative minor, E minor:

e-f#-g-a-b-c-d

C major notes:

c-d-e-f-g-a-b

Start on 6th scale degree for relative minor, A minor:

a-b-c-d-e-f-g

The relative minor scale is a mode, specifically the aeolian mode.

Look here for more info on how to understand and use this concept.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=296
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
07/13/2009 7:06 pm
Originally Posted by: gmixstudioshi there, i am reading the pink theory book and i see each maj has a relative minor
could you advise me how i would put that to practical use? say I was in G Maj and i played chords i ii iv v
would i then jam the relative minor over the top? what confuses me is the relative min is not in the key of G so how does it work?

would i be right in saying the relative min is aeolian scale?

What is the pink theory book - never heard of it
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.