Rock Licks

gmixstudios
gmixstudios
06/28/2009 9:07 am
Hiya I have taken the course from this page on the rock licks, and I am applying it to a hendrix backing track, as well as mimicking hendrix himself
what I am finding is i am playing the right notes and bending etc but it does not feel like hendrix!! the rock premier is good but I wondered what other suggestions you had?
many thanks

Rob
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/28/2009 12:00 pm
Originally Posted by: gmixstudiosHiya I have taken the course from this page on the rock licks, and I am applying it to a hendrix backing track, as well as mimicking hendrix himself
what I am finding is i am playing the right notes and bending etc but it does not feel like hendrix!! the rock premier is good but I wondered what other suggestions you had?
many thanks

Rob

My opinion is that playing like another artist is not unlike doing an impression/mimicking another person's voice; it takes time and practice to sound enough like that person where you think it is good. Knowing Hendrix' licks is a good start. I think especially since he was the game changer that he was, he had lots that was unique to his playing.

So, I guess think you want to consider: How does he strum a chord? Is it right on the beat or does he 'fall back' in the beat? When he bends a note, does bend up to the note right away or does he hold it for a brief moment before bending up to the note.

It's these kinds of things to consider. What makes a guitar players 'voice' are not so much what they played but how. Listen for subtleties such as above. Hendrix unique voice was such because he playing with techniques in a way that was different and this means that you can't just get the note but that you would want to listen closely to how he executed them for these little playing quirkes.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.