Boss ME-70 Multi-Effects Pedal

antonskv
antonskv
06/10/2009 2:07 am
I got a Boss ME-70 Multi-Effects pedal. I know that some people prefer building effects loop with a full pedal board, but i'm a poor guy i needed a pedal that would have everything included. It certainly is not cheap, its 300 bucks (new).

But from what i expected from it, it has done beautifully.

My choice was between Digitech RP500 and Boss ME-70, since they are exactly same price. I went with Boss ME-70 and i don't regret it.

This pedal is encased in solid metal which is great, i guess it was meant for gig and tour abusing. Never been on a tour before, but i'm sure if you use this pedal as a door stopper while drunk beyond recondition, it will be fine.

This pedal can have 4 effects on at the same time plus the pedal. Which is really more than i can ask from it.

1. COMP/FX

Some effects from this part are not very known to me. It has two modes for Wah pedal up and Wah pedal down, Slow Gear, Defretter are pretty self explanatory.

But...

Then 'solo', 'single > hum' and 'hum > single' are really something that i haven't figured out yet, but i'm sure somebody can add their 2 cents to this. I haven't that far in the manual yet to know what they do. Yet anyway. So if somebody knows what those effects are, please by all means - write.

There are 3 knobs besides the effects knob which are "sustain/sens", "attack/tone" and "level/peak" to adjust the parameters to any selected effect.

2. OD/DISTORTION

This is hands down my favorite part of the pedal, distortions and overdrives! It has a few different distortion modes, natural, blues, classic, modern, metal, core, fuzz. It's much more than i need usually, but its a fun having different distortions.

There are 3 knobs besides the effect knob to control drive, tone and output level.

3. MODULATION

This part has all the fun additions of flanger, phaser, chorus, tremolo etc...
I use mostly only Chorus and Flanger.

And just as all other pedals this has 3 knobs to control the parameters of effects, Rate/Key, Depth/Harmony and E.Level/Resonance.

4. DELAY

Delay pedal is extremely versatile, i haven't even tried all different delays yet. You can set a delay in a range of 1 ms to 6000 ms. You can control time and feedback, etc..

One thing that i want to single out! I did not know this when i bought it. This delay pedal has a mode called "Phrase Looper". What this phrase looper does is it can record and repeat what you play on your guitar.

It is not true Loop Pedal, since it cant record but a 38 seconds (if im not mistaken), so time is relatively short. But within these 38 seconds you can fit 12-bar blues, nice rock or metal progression, etc... And it can do multiple re-plays at the same time. So this really adds to everything else.

5. PEDAL

This pedal on the left has a few different modes in which it can work. If you don't turn it on it works as a regular volume pedal. (Turn it on by pressing it down with little force) When you turn it on it works as a regular Wah/Voice pedal. Then it can do octaves, so basically you press pedal down and your guitar pitch goes octave down or up.

Also it can work in combination with "Modulation" and "Delay" effects. Like for example you can control amount of delay that your guitar plays with the pedal.

PRE-AMP

Pedal has a built-in pre-amp, which i use mostly as EQ. But it can work in different modes of Clean, Combo, Tweed, Stack, Lead Stack.... But i haven't explored them yet as much. Since this pedal runs on batteries and i haven't yet got a power supply for it, a lot of times i just shut the pre-amp off.

INPUTS/OUTPUTS

1/4" One input for a guitar
1/4" Two outputs to amp Left/Mono + Right (so it can do stereo i assume)
1/4" Headphones Out/Rec Out
1/8" Aux IN
1/4" And I think one is for additional foot switch

Things i haven't tried it are memory banks and guitar tuner which is included.

All in all excellent multi-effects pedal, and i think its worth every penny.
# 1
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
10/22/2010 12:21 pm
clear review, ty for the effort of writing this

I'm curious, now that you've own one for a while (I assume you still have it), do you ever notice that you miss something? like possibilities or certain sounds, or that some of the sounds aren't as good as you'd like? did you also notice any difference with different guitars/amps?

lotsa questions, I'm thinking about getting this one instead of the Boss GT10

regards,
Roel
= good music is good drinking =
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.