Struggling withBar chords on Acoustic

gmixstudios
gmixstudios
06/07/2009 12:01 pm
I am ok but the B string Buzzes!!
I am starting to lose patience and needs some help on tips to get me better, im starting to think my 1 finger is not cut for the job!! HELP!!
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/07/2009 1:01 pm
Does it buzz when you just try to fret just that one string (no barre)? Does it buzz on the fret you are fretting, or another fret?

If yes, you might need some set up adjustment. If no, practice, practice practice! :) If it is purely a strength issue, it will come over time. You could possible get a hand exerciser for supplemental development.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/09/2009 11:29 am
Hey GMix,

Not to worry - barre chords on the acoustic are notoriously difficult to perfect. They take a lot of hand-strength, plus the ability to discover and maintain exactly the right angle for that 1st finger to do the job.

I suggest that you try this:

first, place your 1st finger across the fret you want to barre, and see that it is placed at an angle that makes it pretty much parallel to the fret wires themselves.

Now, roll your finger slightly towards the head of the guitar (away from the soundhole) so that the bonier edge of your finger in in contact with the strings. This tends to allow for better, more consistent pressure and tone.

And - be patient. Barre chords seem impossible to everyone at first, but if you keep at it and pay attention to the details, your strength and angle will improve.

Best wishes,
-Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
nadair1
nadair1
06/16/2009 8:35 am
I have had this problem as well when I first started playing acoustic. I have very bony fingers so my knuckles are bigger than the "meaty" parts in between digits making it very difficult, however I found that depending on which barre shape I was playing, I needed to use a different finger position. If I am barring straight across and am not going to fret any other strings then I need to choke way up on the neck so meatiest part of my finger goes across the strings and my finger is not sideways at all but flush against the fretboard. This makes sure that there are no gaps in my barre where a string will get muted. For my E and A shaped barre chords, I must turn my finger sideways to fret the other notes needed for the chord, for these it is impossible to avoid dips that my finger naturally makes which deaden strings, so I make sure that those areas of my fingers are positioned in a place where I will have a fretted note under(or over, not sure which terminology to use =) it so that it won't matter that these strings are not able to be fully depressed. Anyhow I guess I'm basically trying to say try different positions for your index finger for the different barre shapes. Hope this helps
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.