Songs you write about

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/14/2009 12:36 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65I say 'A' game only...If someone stole it, the board is a legal permanent record and user records could be subpoena'd in a suit..See, wasn't that easy ;)

I don't think I have more than one game anyway, so whatever it is I call it the A game. :) I was reading a discussion you were having regarding copywrites. It was insightful. I wonder of the old method of recording it, then mailing it to yourself thing is effective?

As far as our exercise, I am overcoming a 20 year writer's block plus I am really focused on finishing my guitar right now (so close!!), so it might yet be a day or two for me to scratch out somehting coherent. I've got a verse & maybe a chorus so far. The hardest thing so far was deciding on the "tone" of the lyrics.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
06/14/2009 2:24 pm
I have some ideas..a few actually....havent gotten to paper yet. I might try to get down to the beach today. I live a mile from the long island sound and I love to just sit by the water and play...so I will work on the lyrics too.

as for tone...one thing Ive never done is join words with music....this should be a big deal for me...but first I am going to worry about getting some lyrics out of my head....then work on some sound.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/15/2009 12:33 am
Originally Posted by: Itsmesilly
as for tone...one thing Ive never done is join words with music....this should be a big deal for me...but first I am going to worry about getting some lyrics out of my head....then work on some sound.

I meant I was trying to figure if I was going for dark & depressing, anecdotal, something upbeat, or what. For myself, I need to have the music before the words. Even if it's not the music that will be used, I need that mental music to help set the "tone" the story will be told int.

Nice to sit on the beach, I envy you! I have to drive half an hour to get to one and it would still be pretty chilly for lounging.
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/15/2009 11:31 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboI meant I was trying to figure if I was going for dark & depressing, anecdotal, something upbeat, or what. For myself, I need to have the music before the words. Even if it's not the music that will be used, I need that mental music to help set the "tone" the story will be told int.

Nice to sit on the beach, I envy you! I have to drive half an hour to get to one and it would still be pretty chilly for lounging.

I live a block from a cornfield waaaaayyyy on the outskirts of Chicagoland..So you can both zip it!

;)
# 4
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
06/16/2009 1:07 am
LOLOL....well if you guys ever come out to Long Island NY....gimme a hollar and we can go jam on the beach!!! It is pretty peaceful.....
# 5
DockStone
DockStone
06/19/2009 11:05 am
I tried to write a song about "aging" last night but the lyrics were mostly gibberish. It's hard getting words to line up with the melodies, etc. I guess my piece was kinda bluesy. Don't know if it's really worth pursuing.

Actually, there are no bad songs. Just put them on your album as filler. Or if you become famous or are famous, people'll bootleg 'em or they'll eventually be issued as "previously unreleased" material. So you really can't lose.

But first ya gotta hit the Big Time!
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/22/2009 12:44 am
Originally Posted by: DockStoneI tried to write a song about "aging" last night but the lyrics were mostly gibberish. It's hard getting words to line up with the melodies, etc. I guess my piece was kinda bluesy. Don't know if it's really worth pursuing.

Actually, there are no bad songs. Just put them on your album as filler. Or if you become famous or are famous, people'll bootleg 'em or they'll eventually be issued as "previously unreleased" material. So you really can't lose.

But first ya gotta hit the Big Time!

I have a folder full of "previously unreleased". If I ever make the big time I'm all set :)

I confess I have let this fall by the wayside. I have a first draft down, but never seem to get back to it.
# 7
Lauen Bateman
Lauen Bateman
08/05/2009 1:32 pm
Originally Posted by: Grandslam15What are the majority of the songs you write about?

I write alot of songs about life in general, and to my girlfriend....good things of course lol.

Same here Grandslam. I mostly write about things happeneing in my life. Most of my songs are about my relationships but every once in a while I'll write about something different. My aunt passed away from Pancreatic cancer in April and I wrote a song for her birthday before she passed called "Guardian Angel" that was about how no one is going to forget her and that everyone is going to be OK.

Chours:

I know no matter where I go
I'll take you with me
I know no matter where I go
You're watching over me
The Holy Ghost and the angel host
Will make you feel well
And you can be my guardian angel

You can actually take a listen to it on my myspace page if you want myspace.com/laurenbatemanmusic
# 8
Ed Jalowiecki
Ed Jalowiecki
08/06/2009 2:18 am
Most of the songs I've written tend to be in the broken heart/failed relationship category. Never had much success writing happy songs. Maybe when I'm happy I don't feel as inspired?

Sometimes I need to get creative to come up with different themes. I wrote a song about my drummer in a previous band once, and that allowed me to explore different ideas because it was less focused on my perspective. Imagining that you're someone else - that has spurred a lot of cool songs actually.
# 9
guild56
guild56
08/07/2009 10:47 pm
I guess I write about a little of everything. Surely, it is shaped by emotion, but many times I write based on something I heard. The song itself does not necessarily reflect personal experience (such as this one, "Harley Girl ), although the emotions are ones I have felt before (e.g., "am I good enough?").

Sometimes I start writing to accomplish a technical goal. For example, I might want to try writing a simple ballad in Spanish.... (dulce suneo or this one

I'm curios to know if ya'll write lyrics with or without guitar in hand? In other words, do you start with a tune or progression? or with words sans music? or dynamically build them together? That makes for a good poll to take! :)
# 10
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/29/2009 12:54 am
I was writing songs long before I ever learned how to play any. I simply loved to write and be creative. As I got older, I found that lyrically I was able to channel my emotions and thoughts much easier through music than anything else.

I tend to write more about things that I am not so comfortable talking about. I find that you can never lie through a song and your lyrics will always come out much more honestly than you realize. Songs are audio snapshots of your life and it is important when writing lyrics you really express things in the most honest way and you open yourself up to that. I always find that I write much better than I speak, oddly.

Being a guitar player, I tend to start ideas on the guitar. There are times where I will encounter a situation in my life that I want to write about; and usually I have some guitar lick in my vocabulary that I can use with that. I tend to write the music first always. I than shape the lyrics and phrases around that. Something that always helps is to record your music first, and than practice singing and lyrics over it. That way you aren't burdened by trying to play in that moment, and you can focus on singing and writing. Than piece it all together in the end. Just remember to not get to crazy and write things you can't play and sing at the same time (I used to be very guilty of this.)

Follow your heart and the songs will come. Just never let a moment of inspiration pass.
Douglas Showalter
# 11
GutShotSlim009
GutShotSlim009
10/15/2009 11:12 pm
I've been strong but lonely
i've become a has been
hasn't been enough for me
to feel like i'm living yet.
wasted years just thinking
up excuses to really living
and in the end i live a life that's meaningless.

something's got to give
to help bring out the best in me
for what i can't forgive
i won't forget the lessons that
you bled in me and
i don't believe in love
i don't beleive in truth
i don't believe in a world without you
i don't beleive in love
i don't beleive in truth
and i don't beleive in you.

keep up the good work guys.
# 12
Dirty Bill
Dirty Bill
10/20/2009 8:04 pm
Originally Posted by: DockStoneLove and Depression or is it Depression mostly? I'm not sure.

Here's a sample. The lyrics aren't great but they fit the notes and phrasing.

This morning
I couldn't think
because of

You ... (chorus)

A quiet day
It was before
I realized

You... (chorus)

were the light
of that day

and
of the sun
and
of the moon

And of my soul ...

You (chorus)

You (chorus)

You--ooo-ooooooo (chorus)

Brief bass guitar interlude, etc. (return to pathetic whining)

Lame, I know, but I guess it's about losing love, which leads to depression and to songs like this one which will never make the charts.

Sounds like the makins of a blues tune to me.... :cool:

Always capitalize "BLUES"

# 13
Dirty Bill
Dirty Bill
10/20/2009 8:12 pm
I wonder if I could write anything. The problem is,I have no idea how to put music with it.. :confused: :cool:

Always capitalize "BLUES"

# 14
GutShotSlim009
GutShotSlim009
10/21/2009 10:48 pm
I recommend starting with a phrase or a line - something that is smart or has real meaning with you.
Focus on it for a few days and play with different melodies in your head - especially going to sleep.
Hopefully something will pop up that is catchy.
Once you have a catchy melodic hook then you can develop the melody and words a little at a time- it doesnt really matter in which order.

Once you have a core phrase or tune that you can't get out of your head - a lot of other stuff seems to just flow from it. Its like the hook is the seed - and if the seed is good enough - it will do whatever it has to in order not to die in your head.

this is a process that seems to work for me.
# 15
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/22/2009 1:41 am
I agree with the above points. One thing that I cannot stress enough is that songwriting is no different than playing an instrument. Where as some people may swing more towards certain aspects of music than others, the bottom line is that it does take practice. But, once practiced enough; you can capture the creative process much quicker each time as well as being able to find inspiration a lot easier. Think of it as if you were practicing your instrument; involving writing lyrics, melodies and chords. Frank Zappa used to treat writing as a day job, working 8-12 hours on that alone (not to mention all his other musical and theatrical duties.) Again, the more you do it the easier the inspiration comes and the better the songs get. Don't just wait for things to fall out of thin air.
Douglas Showalter
# 16
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
11/18/2009 2:00 am
Embers (When I wrote this, the tune from, Pink Floyds "Echos" what running thru my head> Thats where the measure came from atleast)

every thought an ember burns
fading as the world does turn
waves breaking on the sand
gaze upon a distant land
a light apon a distant shore
points to were i was before
a face is burned apon my mind
far ahead and far behind

voice a whisper in the wind as blows
thats the way the story goes
reality as never was and should
reach out and grab, if we could

rain on the window pain, tears of God, tears in vain
lips pressed against the glass, the time fails to pass
silken pettles falling from a rose, and leaves that turn
slip thru fingers, and like the glowing embers burn

flicker candles tourtches, on wall of stone
amber light, that does pierce the night
pleasent dream, nightmere becomes
upon waking, open eyes from

yearn like partched deasert soul
to sleep again til growing old

dwelling in the lands between, a truths that is seldom seen
a truth i cherish, pray was mine, withheld by Gods and swine
read the story written in flesh and blood, faded from the flood
and stained upon the face, by day or night moons embrace

And what matters never understands, undiscovered distant sands
never once footprints lands, floating beyond grasp of hands

shatter as the day ends, return to hell the evening sends
breathing in the poison air, gaze into nevers stare
till ascending like a cherubs grace, light of love apon its face
lost in eteranal embrace, hang before withered face
eyes that lost light and sight, but see clear within the night
around my hand two worlds turn, as the embers still they burn
below in valleys rivers flow, upon the peaks feathers snow

eternities pale face a kiss, in distance forests mist
trees whisper secrets to the breeze, and within my ears freeze
each leaf tells a tail of sorrow, caried with wing of sparrow
if your hear them you will know, and never be alone
for i am there, whisper crying you home, the way is shown
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.