View post (Songs you write about)

View thread

DockStone
DockStone
06/10/2009 11:34 pm
JeffS65, your lyrics sound a bit like political poetry to me. I was thinking of a title like "Future America" for them. That part about "no one left to rule" would come about after America's elected reps completely screwed up! Hah. We'll never see that day. Too many people are all too willing to accept the status quo rather than challenge it.

The sample I wrote above could only be salvaged by some good music to accompany it. I mean there's a lot of songs with really simple or hardly any lyrics to them but are enjoyable to listen to nonetheless. Sometimes all you remember from a song is just a phrase or two anyway.

Not trying to excuse myself ... but ...

This morning I had a song going that was something like "it's a rain game, it's a same game, it's a lame game." Not much verbally but I could hear some nice guitar bits in my head to accompany it.

IMO, I think songwriting can be anything and someone will like it. But let's face it, if you write a love song, people do tend to focus on the lyrics. So I don't think you can afford to have really dumb lyrics there.

And love songs are supposed to stimulate people, not put them to sleep. So there should probably be a relatively upbeat tempo to them.

Excuse me, I'm just thinking out loud.