Birth of the Blues: Leadbelly

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/28/2009 9:17 pm
Birth of the blues: Leadbelly
By Hunter60

Six months after he died, Pete Seeger and the Weavers released 'Goodnight Irene", a Leadbelly song that became a huge success for them. Seeger once said of Leadbelly, "If he had lived another year, I think he would have finally gotten the success he deserved."

Leadbelly is still considered perhaps the best 12-string blues/folk guitarists ever recorded and his range of influence continues to run through the ranks of music. Artists as varied as Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Creedence Clearwater Revivial, Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain have all acknowledge how deeply they were influenced by the self-avowed 'Master of The 12-String" and have recorded Leadbelly tracks and promoted his musical legacy.

Fifty years after his death, Leadbelly continues to be a larger than life figure in folk music and the blues.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
04/29/2009 6:40 am
My parents used to play Leadbelly when I was a kid and I remember one of his songs in particular cuz my dad's name is Buddy: "Don't Lie Buddy Don't Lie" - he had a cool sound. :)
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
gruntfish
gruntfish
05/01/2009 3:52 pm
Actually Mooringsport is north of Shreveport (not Shreevesport) on Caddo Lake, not "Morningsport on Caldo lake" as stated in the article.

My family has lived here for generations and does to this day.
# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/01/2009 4:06 pm
Originally Posted by: gruntfishActually Mooringsport is north of Shreveport (not Shreevesport) on Caddo Lake, not "Morningsport on Caldo lake" as stated in the article.

Thank you for the correction. Sadly, I can only go by what my research revealed. Again, thank you for pointing out the error.
# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/01/2009 4:14 pm
Originally Posted by: gruntfishActually Mooringsport is north of Shreveport (not Shreevesport) on Caddo Lake, not "Morningsport on Caldo lake" as stated in the article.

Thank you for the correction. It is appreciated.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.