F Chord

jazzn01
jazzn01
04/19/2009 5:11 pm
Hi All,

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to answer my newbie questions as it has been a lot of help.

I have been struggling with the F Chord, specifically barring the F & C notes while stretching to hold the A & F notes. No matter what I tried I kept muting adjacent strings.

While doodling around with this issue I thought to try something different.
Instead of using the middle finger on the A string I used my ring finger and then used my pinky on the F Chord. (I will admit the little guy is sore but will toughen up with time.)

The 1st time I hit the strings with this method it worked like a charm!!

I hope this may help other newbies who have struggled with this chord.

My Best To All

Jazzn
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
04/19/2009 6:02 pm
You are doing F on the bottom 4 strings? Where's your middle finger now?

(Just curious)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
jazzn01
jazzn01
04/19/2009 6:31 pm
Hi Razbo,

You really do not want to know the anwer to that question :-)

BTW: Thanks for your taking the time to respond to my other problems posted on the forum. They actually Helped!!

Off to Practice::::::> See ya later

Jazzn
# 3
gary_g5
gary_g5
04/20/2009 3:25 am
I'm having a terrible time with the F cord right now too. I'm doing Lisa's fingerpicking tutorials, and I'm following her advice of just playing the top 4 strings instead of trying to barre it. But my problem is that I can't play strings 1 and 2 cleanly with just my index finger. One of them always ends up not pressed all the way down. And my other two fingers keep muting adjacent strings. It's rather frustrating. I'm hoping it'll just magically get better someday if I keep practicing. My guitar has a slim neck (1.72" nut) so I also wonder if I would do better with a wider string spacing.
# 4
chekasavings
chekasavings
04/20/2009 7:01 am
Whilst doing the beginners course this was one of the most frustrating things for me was hitting the open F chord without muting.My brother had loaned me a cheap guitar with strings that sat too high over the fret board and had a very poor quality sound and it seemed that I was always fighting to get a clean sound out of it.But I persisted and completed the course 1 & 2.Then I went down to my local music shop and tried out about 5 guitars so that I could continue with my lessons on guitartricks because I now Knew this is what I wanted for a new hobby.The first thing I did with these brand new guitars was to try to play the F chord.3 out of the 5 were perfect and I bought the one that required the least effort for $1900 Australian.Expensive yes but a beautiful guitar all round.Cole Clark angel acoustic guitar.Still practise makes perfect and lots of practise is the key. Good luck

Mark McDonald from Australia
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.