View post (Shy about performing - but not what you'd expect)

View thread

gary_g5
gary_g5
04/15/2009 7:26 pm
I have a problem with playing my music in front of a few people. I have no problem playing in front of huge crowds though. Here's the deal: I've been playing classical piano since I was 5. I made a TV commercial on the piano when I was 7, and wasn't phased by the cameras. I performed in regional talent shows in highschool in front of thousands of people, played on the local tv station's saturday morning talent showcase numerous times, etc. It was the same with other instruments. I played the guitar in front of my entire school several times when I was in 5th grade. In high school, I played the flute well, was showcased various times and played solos in front of large crowds. I was also in the school chorus for a few years and did a few solos and duets. And I had no problem with any of that because they were always performances in front of large audiences.

What absolutely terrifies me is if someone is over at our house and says "Oh, you play the piano" or "hey nice guitar, play something". Or even when my wife says "sing a lullaby to the kids". This morning I was playing the flute for my kids. One's 3 and one's not even a year old. And I was nervous. Why is that? Am I the only person who have trouble sharing music in an intimate setting but is completely fearless on stage?