View post (Stubby Finger Syndrome)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
04/08/2009 1:43 am
Originally Posted by: jazzn01Hi All,

Taking up the guitar at 60 and loving it!! This is a great course out of the many I have tried.. Kudos to Christopher for his fine teaching technique.

O.K. My problem is stubby fingers.. I was not blessed with long flexible digits and find it almost impossible to cover 4-5 frets with my pinky and index finger.
I don't even want to talk about those wonderful barre chords!
I do all the exercises with little to no improvement.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you overcome it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jazzn01 :confused:

You will rbably never find a guitar player who can't describe to you his or her short come as far as what their fingers can do. I remember Brian May saying that he almost never uses his pinky because it doesn't seem to work right.

Seems the trick is not the shortcoming being fixed but how you worked around them. Looking at other guitar players play is useful but they have different hands than you. You may think they're doing it 'perfectly' if they are a great player but they have a cheat in their somewhere.

I guess I think that it only matter that you get to the fret. If you can have prefect technique while doing it. Excellent. If your hand doesn't play, then just figure out how to actually get there.

I say this because I have average to short fingers and a 5 fret stretch is a challenge for me but in the past and with getting some of it back now, I'm starting to be able to get the 5 fretter going a little. I weee sloppy and disconcerting when a good number of years ago it could do it clean but gotta get back in the groove.