What's your problem?

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/14/2002 2:23 am
Jaco was nuts, and it wasn't even the really technical things he did that made him so kick ass...
It was the grooves he'd come up with...
Granted that they themselves were often pretty insane.

More along the Dream Theater line: Symphony X
Twisted, twisted stuff: Buckethead. Try and find Giant Robot or Monsters and Robots. And brace yourself.
Just plain rocks: Clutch - Closest thing you'll find to Classic Rock today. Seek out The Elephant Riders immediately.
Jazz: Charlie Hunter. Plays guitar and bass at once (eight string guitar - three bass strings, five guitar).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
01/14/2002 3:30 pm
the bassist for bela fleck (victor wooten) does some cool stuff too
# 2
Weakicks
Weakicks
01/20/2002 9:41 am
Originally posted by Joseph
Originally posted by Weakicks
Hey !! You remind me allittle of myself the way you say that.Do you study jazz at all??Jazz drummers and all that kind of music really helps me sometimes.It's cool to improvise with a good drummer and have them use mallets and brushes and really focuse on tonalitys and dimensions.

I dabble in a little bit of everything, but yes I would have to say that jazz music really does play a big roll in my technique. For hours I sometimes tend to sit back and relax (that is whenever I can,) listening to music of all different kinds. And I search fo certain elements that can inspire me in more ways than one.

It's very difficult to find willing musicians down here in South Florida, those who ar willing to put in the time and effort that's needed. I swear I would love to rent a recording studio for the day, and simply record the drums, guitar, bass, and vocals all by myself. I'm sure it would be an amazing exerience, which also builds a great level of independence. But money is a little scarce, maybe in a few weeks.

-Joseph [/B][/QUOTE]Hey do you have any drum machines,samplers,A 4 track,computer studio,or anything to record yourself with?? How long you been playing??
I have some pretty nice amps,descent guitars and some pretty cool recording equipment to help inspire me.I have this computer program called...Cool Edit Pro.It makes writing a song so damn easy!!It is one of the easiest yet not shabby way to make your own demo or Cd.You could probably get that program ..a sound card (the kind you'll need),an equalizer,and a computer for 1200 dollars or less.You will also want a cd burner.You won't really need to go to a studio for a long time.People use Cool Edit Pro for demos anyway.
But ...anyway just thought you may like to know about that.It is much easier to use than a 4 track.It has 60 tracks which can probably expand to more than that.Like if you hooked a 4 track up to it or mixed down a bunch of tracks to one.I just got it so I don't know everything it can do.All I can say is no matter how good anyone is this would have to make the whole songwriting process easier for anyone.
# 3
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
01/20/2002 10:39 pm
Checked out Charlie H unter. H e is insane!but I found something even more nuts....Charlie and Les Claypoole!!! That is some really INSANE stuff.enjoy
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/21/2002 4:52 pm
"Me and Chuck," on Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel's album "Highball with the Devil."

Yes, I am indeed a Claypool nerd.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
01/22/2002 10:35 pm
les and charlie also do a song called the awakening I think it's on the same album..I want to be like them when I grow up. lol
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/23/2002 1:47 am
Originally posted by mamamalabass
les and charlie also do a song called the awakening I think it's on the same album..I want to be like them when I grow up. lol

Nah, that's just Les and Jay Lane (Primus' first drummer, as well as the drummer for Rat Dog and a few Charlie Hunter bands).

You can find a video of Les and Brain playing The Awakening durring a sound check on primussucks.com, and it's also tossed into the middle of Tommy the Cat on Rhynoplasty.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
OmegaMonster
OmegaMonster
01/25/2002 12:45 pm
Mt biggest problem as a guitarist:

I often find myself in a whirlwind of ideas. These times come and go a varying frequencies. The problem lies in the fact that when I start to write and I get stuck in a spot (blending the bridge to the chorus, making a riff less busy, changing the synch in one part or another, etc...) sometimes, I'll find it ideal to wait until the next day, or whenever, to finish it. I use this approach to make sure I don't rush a really good song that turns into crap because of my eagerness to complete it. So, the next day I'll pick up my guitar and sit down with the song and try to write. I find it incredibly difficult to "pick up where I left off". It's almost impossible for me to regain the mindset and level of inspiration that I had when I began writting. Don't get me wrong...I'll complete the song eventually...but, it usually sounds just like what it is: a compilation of two days work that were done with different inspirations and different viewpoints.

I feel like I have A.D.D. sometimes but, I know this isn't the case. At any rate, I don't know the methods to use to get back on track with a song...but, I've found one method that works sometimes...the tried and true method of "sticktuitiveness". Sometimes the riffs flow like a river. Other times the riffs sound like a 7 year old child wrote them...but, persistence has helped much more than dwelling on the issue.

I guess that's all from me. Best of luck to you guys...and remember...the shred is never dead!!!

Infinity is silent in the shred of truth!
# 8
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
01/29/2002 6:59 pm
Originally posted by OmegaMonster
Mt biggest problem as a guitarist:

I often find myself in a whirlwind of ideas. These times come and go a varying frequencies. The problem lies in the fact that when I start to write and I get stuck in a spot (blending the bridge to the chorus, making a riff less busy, changing the synch in one part or another, etc...) sometimes, I'll find it ideal to wait until the next day, or whenever, to finish it. I use this approach to make sure I don't rush a really good song that turns into crap because of my eagerness to complete it. So, the next day I'll pick up my guitar and sit down with the song and try to write. I find it incredibly difficult to "pick up where I left off". It's almost impossible for me to regain the mindset and level of inspiration that I had when I began writting. Don't get me wrong...I'll complete the song eventually...but, it usually sounds just like what it is: a compilation of two days work that were done with different inspirations and different viewpoints.

I feel like I have A.D.D. sometimes but, I know this isn't the case. At any rate, I don't know the methods to use to get back on track with a song...but, I've found one method that works sometimes...the tried and true method of "sticktuitiveness". Sometimes the riffs flow like a river. Other times the riffs sound like a 7 year old child wrote them...but, persistence has helped much more than dwelling on the issue.

I guess that's all from me. Best of luck to you guys...and remember...the shred is never dead!!!
I resemble that you aren't alone
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.