View post (how can i write a song for school)

View thread

Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
03/28/2009 2:48 am
Yo blingbling,

Can you play any songs that are on the radio or your iPod, etc.? If you can you're off to a good start. To make it easy, I would take a part of a song I know and maybe change a chord or rhythm here or there, If they only strum a chord 4 times, maybe strum it 8 times or 2 times. This way you take an idea you already know and alter it till it sounds like something of yours, that's what we all do anyway! Just about all of the music us guitar players are playing we got somewhere else and added our own personality to it or played it backwards..or faster..or slower, eventually you develop a style all your own.
When you listen to a song, think about how long they stay on a chord before they change, the kind of rhythm that's going on and think about how you might do it differently..or, if there's a song you HATE, listen to it and think about what is it that you don't like about that song, specifically. This may spark an idea, songs are based on really simple ideas and built up from there.
It sounds like you're writing lyrics(words) and then some music so you might also think about the words..what is the emotion in the lyrics..happy, sad, mad, etc. and think how that emotion might sound..don't be afraid to sound goofy on your guitar, the best stuff comes from the worst stuff alot of times and you don't have to play anybody the goofy stuff except yourself (unless you want to).
'Yesterday' by the Beatles was originally called 'Scrambled Eggs' until Paul finished the song.

Neal
GT Channel Host
=:D
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/