View post (Fat Fingers!)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
03/14/2009 12:22 am
Originally Posted by: ChancyI'm still new myself and have fairly large fingers. I've found that as I play more and my fingers toughen up, I don't have to press as hard which keeps my fingers from spreading out so much. Good luck. I'm sure there are some better tips out there. Don't give up

Callouses are really a good part of the ticket. In many respects, because the finger is soft and fleshy, the string is going to indent in to your finger until the callous build up enough where that does much heppen.

Good call.

To the original poster, spend time watching TV and doing finger exercises to harden up the finger tip ends. I used to do one as follows (note: the fingers are noted as 1=Index, 2=Middle, 3=Ring, 4=Pinky):

6th String, First Fret: 1-2-3-4
5th String, First Fret: 1-2-3-4
4th String, First Fret: 1-2-3-4
..and so on through the first string

then:
6th String, Second Fret: 1-2-3-4
5th String, Second Fret: 1-2-3-4
4th String, Second Fret: 1-2-3-4

then:
6th String, Third Fret: 1-2-3-4
5th String, Third Fret: 1-2-3-4
4th String, Third Fret: 1-2-3-4

You get the picture. It doesn't require knowledge to do it. It's truly like exercise and building things up. It's mindless enough to do while you watch the tube. If you do this drill doing alternate (up/down) picking, it helps you get in the habit of that type of picking and will help as you improve with speed and accuracy. The drill doesn't need to be done fast and is better if you don't.

It is tedious but that's why you can be distracted. The end result is that you will build callouses, strengthen your fingers ad feel more confortable when you are playing other stuff.

Particularly when I was a speedy player back wen, I did this regularly to keep my fingers engaged.

My thoughts...