starting a band

dev
dev
12/31/2001 2:57 pm
hey guys now i have a problem which needs a lot of thinking.
well me and my friends want to start a band but we could not decide on what type of music we should play.all my friends are big fan of DREAM THEATER and they want something that sound like that but at the same time we also need to be in time. these days people don't seem to care about quality music.they even don't care if a solo is good or not. so guys any suggestions?
# 1
canuck01
canuck01
12/31/2001 8:44 pm
Do what you like Dev. If you aren't happy with the music that you are playing...why play it. Music to me is (enter corny section of speech...and cliche) an expression. Not eveyone will like your music (unfortunate truth), what I mean is, don't play what your friends like or want to hear...once again stating...don't play it if you don't like it.

I plan to live and play forever,
so far, so good!
# 2
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
12/31/2001 9:27 pm
don't play in the style of anyone else, combine whatever you like and make something new and innovative. if your buds don't like what you like you have choices:
a) play with them and be miserable for the rest of your mortal life
b) play with them for the experience and find a different band later that suits your taste
c) play with musicians that like what you like
d) play by yourself
i'm not an expert lol that's just what came to my mind.
i play by myself right now *sigh* but i would love to have at least a parter in crime.
:)
# 3
canuck01
canuck01
12/31/2001 9:45 pm
Originally posted by friskynibbles

i play by myself right now *sigh* but i would love to have at least a parter in crime.
:) [/B]

as do i. Looking for someone in Edmonton, AB that may be new and has some patience.

so far, so good!
# 4
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/01/2002 2:29 am
You'll find your partners when you'll stop looking for them... That's what happened to me everytime!! I now believe in luck and fate!!
# 5
canuck01
canuck01
01/01/2002 4:18 am
I had a lucky horseshoe, but I hung it upside down, and all the luck ran out...guess I'll just have to rely on fate
*shrugs*
so far, so good!
# 6
Psycho Amram
Psycho Amram
01/01/2002 6:58 am
dev dont play with your friends because they're your friends when you play with somebody there's a connection to be made. you have to feel it in your bones or it won't work that connection is much base 'bout style.
see i play in a band more than a year now and we play what we like (of course we dont always agree but basically we're the same kind of people). nothing compares with playing what you like looks at the eyes of your partners and see that they like it too and the same you like what they play and see the pleasure in their eyes...
we had some guitarists friends that played with us once in a while but we told them: "you play great but your not our style"
once the drummer played with few other guitarists (i wasnt there) and i was afraid that he'll find better players and leave the band but when i spoke to him he said: "ya they play better then you, one of them was reeeaaal good but they didnt have your way after 5 hour i stopped playing..."

anyway play your own style and if they dont like it f*ck'em
God sent meat,
and the Devil sent cooks.

Excuse me while i keep this eye
# 7
blankdrawn
blankdrawn
01/01/2002 6:44 pm
whats the best way to start a band?
my friends are idiots. we're in a band, the drummer's arm is broken, and their style is different from mine. i feel that we should just play for the music (and to occasionally score) but they want to play for money and power. of course thats nice but when i suggested following in NOFX's footsteps in the "no radio, no MTV" rule they laughed in my face. i'm gonna ditch them soon...

this reply has no meaning
this is enthusiasm.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.