Making of Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon DVD

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/06/2009 3:06 pm
Just watched great DVD. Pink Floyd's DSOTM. It's not a concert DVD, rather a documentary. Interviews with the band, the guys who mixed the record, how they got certian sound affects using what they had to work with back then.

GREAT DVD for the Pink Floyd fan.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
GratefulAndrew7
GratefulAndrew7
03/06/2009 9:34 pm
That is a great DVD, 'Live at Pompeii' and 'The Syd Barrett Story' are other great ones as well!!
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/07/2009 12:16 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerJust watched great DVD. Pink Floyd's DSOTM. It's not a concert DVD, rather a documentary. Interviews with the band, the guys who mixed the record, how they got certian sound affects using what they had to work with back then.

GREAT DVD for the Pink Floyd fan.

I love seeing those kind of things like VH1's 'Classic Albums'. It really give you a cool insight in to the process and inside the artist head. It really puts a point on to the idea that songs just rarely po out whole ut thoughthe process, they become the classic we know and that it's not always easy.
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/07/2009 1:40 am
Same here.
Wish somebody would do a Crime of the Century DVD by Supertramp :)
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/07/2009 8:28 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorSame here.
Wish somebody would do a Crime of the Century DVD by Supertramp :)

That would be a great one to see. I'd like Breakfast in America too. Popular, yes. Great songs though.
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/07/2009 10:27 am
I'm really looking forward to a time when Guitar Tricks can post copyrighted lessons on such bands as Beatles, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Saga, Rush, Tears for Fears etc...
I'd really love to be able to take some of their famous songs and not only offer in depth lessons on how the guitar parts were played, but in-depth knowledge of their recording techniques... how they worked in the studio.... how they achieved their signature sounds.
Hell.... I've read as much material on these guys as possible trying to understand how they worked together and it would be awesome if we could get not only an understanding of their studio techniques... but outtkakes of their earlier versions and instrumentals showing how they put their songs together.
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/07/2009 10:54 am
I'm really looking forward to a time when Guitar Tricks can post copyrighted lessons on such bands as Beatles, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Saga, Rush, Tears for Fears etc...
I'd really love to be able to take some of their famous songs and not only offer in depth lessons on how the guitar parts were played, but in-depth knowledge of their recording techniques... how they worked in the studio.... how they achieved their signature sounds.
Hell.... I've read as much material on these guys as possible trying to understand how they worked together and it would be awesome if we could get not only an understanding of their studio techniques... but outtkakes of their earlier versions and instrumentals showing how they put their songs together.
# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/08/2009 7:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorI'm really looking forward to a time when Guitar Tricks can post copyrighted lessons on such bands as Beatles, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Saga, Rush, Tears for Fears etc...

That would be very cool. Pesky copyright and artists wanting to get paid and all ;). Understandable that the cost of such a thing would make it pretty much to expensive to do. Having been on the licensing end of the business a time or two. It certainly is not free.

I think the concept is still pretty good and you may have enough talent around the e-hallways of GT that you could work up something comparable even if not for a big hit. Maybe even speak to techniques that artists like the above mentioned used even if not using the actual example. Not unlike the guitar lessons, using the 'in the vain of' concept. Just thinking out loud.
# 8
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
03/16/2009 2:20 am
Second live at Pompeii. That is one of the best videos I have ever seen. It used to drive me crazy when folks would say Pink Floyd was too mellow. Yeah right! I heard the album before I even knew there was a video. This is one that will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, it's that good. Anyway yeah I like Pink Floyd and I will check out that DVD.
I stay in the dog house its easier that way...
# 9
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/16/2009 3:31 am
yeah pompeii is a great dvd
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2009 4:04 am
I remember thinking at the time (guess I was in my very early teens)... how the heck do they play all the way through such complex songs and remember everything? I was trying to figure out... are they making it up as they're going along or did they actually write this?

My young brain couldn't comprehend that a bunch of young 'stoner' looking guys could be capable of having such talent.

btw: if you guys don't already.. and you're interested in the 'making of' aspect of music, I'd suggest getting an account at GigaNews and logging on to the alt.binaries.mp3 newsgroups. Like, seriously, I've been finding all kinds of amazing gems like all the early bootleg recordings of Pink Floyd etc. Plus stuff like Van Halen coming up with Eruption in the studio, Queen's basic backup tracks of stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody before the main vocal had been added. Every version of every song the Beatles recorded including the original camera audio feeds from the rooftop concert and arguments between them in the studio and jams, christmas tapes etc.
The original recordings of Stairway to Heaven with a completely different chorus.. early recordings of ELO and instrumental l edits of albums like New World Record.
I could go on but ya get the picture.
It's an amazing lesson in songwriting just listening to how different aspects of songs were dropped and changed or how early ideas sparked a song into a totally different direction.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.