Leo Kottke: Master of the 12-string

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/17/2009 2:11 am
Leo Kottke: Master of the 12-string

By Hunter60

In 1991 Kottke premiered a symphonic suite that he had composed along with Stephen Paulus which he played with both the Fort Worth and Kansas City symphony orchestras demonstrating the real range of his talent.

He has continued to tour and record extensively throughout the nineties and beyond, collaborating with everyone from Riki Lee Jones (whom he enjoyed working with so much, he had her produce his 1994 album 'Peculiaroso"), Chet Atkins and David Z. (a Prince alumnus).

Kottke claims to spend at least 80% of his time touring now feeling that the continuing demands of performing live and the give and take with the audience is a great aid to improving his playing.

As a result of his amazing speed on a 12-string guitar, his use of innovative alternate tunings, his natural rapport with the audience, his unique and inventive story telling style of lyrics and his drive to constantly explore new avenues of his music have led to a thirty plus year of a storied career. As I had said before, Leo Kottke plays the guitar like he is possessed by demons but rather than damaging the man and his art they seem to be leading him along a rather unique and ultimately satisfying path.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
Travelman
Travelman
02/21/2009 6:16 pm
This is a great article about Leo Kottke. I loved the description of him as "playing like a man possessed."

I have seen him several times since the early years (70's) to recently. Always a great concert.
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/03/2009 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: TravelmanThis is a great article about Leo Kottke. I loved the description of him as "playing like a man possessed."

I have seen him several times since the early years (70's) to recently. Always a great concert.

Thanks for the kind words on the article Travelman. Leo is an incredibly talented man. Simply amazing! :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.