Questions about Vox Super Deluxe

SampleAndy
SampleAndy
02/15/2009 3:35 am
Hi guys.

I have a guitar very much like the one pictured here:
http://www.voxguitar.net/images/SLDELUXE.JPG

I have one question and one problem... which might be a PROBLEM. When I bought this many many years ago, there was no whammy bar or any of the hardware to mount one. There was however, the spring that was supposed to be used to make it work. I honestly don't know whether it was in place when I bought it or just loose in the case. When I restrung the guitar the last time (ALSO many years ago) I didn't use the spring; the end of the arm was just resting on the frame or tailpiece. Would it be better to put the spring in or leave it out like I did last time? It seems like it would be a real nightmare to change the springs with it in place.

The PROBLEM is that when I started to put the new strings on the... uhm... bridge or bridge saddle... kinda fell off. There's the metal piece with 6 adjustable rollers on it that rests on two height adjustment screws, and the wooden piece that the two screws are glued into. I vaguely remember this happening before once, and I just glued it on with Elmer's and kept on going. Now, I'm thinking that was a pretty simplistic view. From what I've read, that piece (whatever it's called) should be in a pretty specific location for everything to be in tune. Is this something I can take care of or would it be best handled by the pros?

Thanks for your time and help,
Andy
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. :o
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/18/2009 3:57 am
You might be able to get everything back where it should be, but a pro would be a much safer bet.

Since it was sitting there for a long time, there may be clean, or unfaded spots in the finish to indicate where the bridge used to be. If there are wider rollers or notches in the bridge saddles on one side than the other, that shows which side the thicker strings were on.

The spring is only useful with the tremolo. You don't need it if you don't use it.

I recommend taking it to a good tech for a full setup. After a long time being out of service, it should be carefully inspected by someone with the right skill set.

Best of luck to you.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.