Microphone for Computer?

seansps
seansps
02/11/2009 3:44 am
Does anyone know what a good microphone is for recording acoustic & vocals (preferably at the same time, but maybe on different tracks) on a computer? I'm looking for something within like a $50-100 price range. Decent quality... and of course using the standard sound card mic connection (or USB, but I believe USB mics have really bad latency?)
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2009 9:21 pm
Really what you need to do is not just get a mic but a phantom power source for it.
For instance, Rode makes an awesome sounding mic (the same one I use for the Guitar Tricks lessons) that's only around the $100 mark.

It needs to be powered by a 48v phantom power though, so you might want to thing about checking out something like the basic behringer mixers with a 48v switch that will allow you to use it.
Not only will you get an amazing sounding mic, but with a mixer, you can adjust the trim and volume to get the best sound.

For instance, I'm using a Rode NT-1 that I got off eBay for around $100 and use it for all of my lesson recordings:
To hear what it sounds like just click here:

http://guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12424

... or any other lesson in my series of stuff. I use it not only for vocals but acoustic guitar etc..

Let's just say that it's so sensitive and accurate that sometimes when I'm mixing tunes down, I can hear my family talking upstairs and mistakenly believe that they're actually up there talking. Yet when I check... everybody is in bed. All I'm hearing is the earlier recording of people talking 4 rooms away.

The Rode Mic also gives that silky smooth vocal sound that you hear on pro recordings so I'd highly recommend it.
For a cheap price you get the mic and the isolation stand to go with it.
# 2
seansps
seansps
02/12/2009 4:40 am
Thanks for the advice!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.