Nitrocellulose Finishes

u2andwho
u2andwho
02/06/2009 12:43 am
I am looking at a guitar stand to hold both my Epiphone SG Special and my Yamaha FG720S. I found a stand that can hold three guitars, but says that it is "Not for nitrocellulose-finish guitars." Would this stand be safe to use with my Epiphone SG Special and my Yamaha FG720S?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/06/2009 1:02 am
The issue here is probably a concern about interraction between nitrocellulose and the plastic pads on the stand.

Most guitars now have polyurethane finishes. I don't know for sure about yours.

You could use some soft cloth to cover the pads.

Another thing to consider:

I've got a really sturdy 3-axe stand that I bought 20 years ago, collecting dust. I don't use it anymore, because its just scary easy to tip over. If the stand you're considering supports the guitars from the bottom with three large fork-shaped things, I can guarantee you it will be very unstable. The first time you brush against it on stage or in a small room, it will dump your guitars on the floor!

Look for the kind of stand that hangs each guitar from the head, where the neck widens out at the nut. The back of each guitar rests against a pad. This design is harder to find, because it costs more to make (its a lot taller, so it uses almost twice as much tubing to build one) and it doesn't look as cool, so I don't think anyone makes them any more. Its worth the effort to find one, though.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/07/2009 7:13 am
Originally Posted by: u2andwhoI am looking at a guitar stand to hold both my Epiphone SG Special and my Yamaha FG720S. I found a stand that can hold three guitars, but says that it is "Not for nitrocellulose-finish guitars." Would this stand be safe to use with my Epiphone SG Special and my Yamaha FG720S?[/QUOTE]

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=102172 *towards the bottom of the page
[QUOTE=Musicians Friend]Epiphones have polyurethane finish

I'd think that any midpriced guitar would have a poly finish since it's a less expensive process and a part of the reason that you can get the guitar for a decent price and still have a very good instrument.

So, get whatever stand meets your needs. While I may not have the same reservations with the bottom supported stands as lord is, you do want to be careful about the stand you get. All are not equal. Remember the physics of it all, you have a tall object just waiting to fall over, the broader the base, the better no matter if it's neck supported or bottom.

I will say I don't like the multi stand either, I have mine on separate stands. Even if you don't have the holy grail '59 Les Paul, you still got lots of cash on that stand...I wouldn't want it all riding on one stand.
# 3
0x1a4
0x1a4
02/22/2009 1:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings
Look for the kind of stand that hangs each guitar from the head, where the neck widens out at the nut. The back of each guitar rests against a pad. This design is harder to find, because it costs more to make (its a lot taller, so it uses almost twice as much tubing to build one) and it doesn't look as cool, so I don't think anyone makes them any more. Its worth the effort to find one, though.

Hercules makes stands like this, and also has two small arms that close when the weight of the guitar is applied. They are supposed to be safe for nitro finishes as well. They go for around $50.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/22/2009 3:24 pm
Good find! Thanks. :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.