Need some advice before final recording

Superhuman
Superhuman
01/19/2009 1:21 pm
Hi Guys,
I'm recording two tracks (one old and one new) with some amazing musicians at the moment and I'm looking for some advice on one before I lock myself away and record the master rhythm tracks to send off. Some of you may have heard this track before, it's an old one of mine - one of the first I recorded on my home system so the sound and mix in general is pretty off - consider it an old demo.

Here's the link, track is called 'Xenocide' - its about an alien invasion of the earth, story is told through samples, kind of a sci-fi prog metal affair.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=47397

I want to get this one right because the guys that I am working with are serious musicians, I have an amazing bass player lined up, an orchestral composer who is going to put a put a full orchestra to it, a techno wizard for electro sounds and a sound engineer to do a proper mix. Drums will be redone with a drummer too, this post is all about the arrangement.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could take the time to comment on whether the arrangement itself is ok. Is it too long - the best solo is towards the end but will people listen that far?? The track itself has three distinct parts, I was thinking about dividing it into three shorter tracks that follow each other in succession:
Xenocide I: 'Encounter'
Xenocide II: 'Invasion'
Xenocide III: 'Resistence'
In your opinion would the track work better as a single track with all the bells and whistles (a pro version of this demo) or as three shorter tracks stretched out to about 3 mins each? Each one would be quite different but there would be a thread of common riffs throughout.

Any feedback/advice/comment is much appreciated,

SH
# 1
equator
equator
01/20/2009 1:53 pm
Hey Dave.
It is so cool that you are working with other great musicians such yourself.
IMO the track is a little long, but I don’t know how you could make it any shorter and still fit all the voice samples and the guitar parts in a single track.

I don’t mind listening to long tracks if the content is good and/or the track has a coherent story, and your demo work has a story told by voice samples and the guitar parts are superb.
If you go the one single track route make sure your sound engineer makes the voice samples stand out in the mix, (I have a hard time trying to follow the story because the track gets a little too busy) and the guitar parts should still sound clear and in its own space in the spectrum. That is a tough thing to do, but a good engineer should be able to find the right balance.

Having three separate tracks stringed together is also an interesting concept; if you go with that option, make sure the transitions are smooth and that they keep the flow of the music.

All the best. :)
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
RGX312l
RGX312l
01/20/2009 3:13 pm
Hi SH,

First of all, I'm really happy ( and envious) for you , that you manage to rope in other musicians - and engineer to record your composition.

I think if there are more changes in the tempo , this piece would sustain interest better. The continuous 'pounding' of the rhythm gtr is a little too much for me to take. For a piece this long, I think there should be more solo - perhaps also showcasing the other instruments . Now that you are playing along with other musicians, it is a chance to expand the composition with the other instruments. Anyway, you know me, always a sucker for solos :)

Can't wait to hear the result of your collaborations with the top notch musicians!

Cheers and enjoy the process !

RGX312L
"Dangerous Distortion, Serious Sustain"

www.soundcloud.com/rgx312l
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.