gypsy jazz/ scale

buckethead14
buckethead14
12/29/2008 4:33 am
I have just discovered gypsy jazz and it is probably my favorite thing to listen too, i have a pretty solid knowledge in music theory and have started studying jazz fundamentals for about 4 months and am a bit frusturated :confused:

ive tried tracking these songs but something about it doesnt sound correct, it sounds like they switch from diminished scales into melodic minor into the gypsy scale and everywhere else

what are some tips (scales, different types of 3-finger chords) to start playing this genre?
Buckethead
# 1
equator
equator
12/29/2008 4:33 pm
There are many concepts that can be applied to play the Gypsy Jazz genre.

For the most part though; the melodies of this genre are not based on a specific scale; instead,
You have to follow the chord changes and create your melodies from arpeggios and then add chromatic tones.

Another thing to remember is that you would be playing arpeggios of Substitutions.
For example if you have a C9 chord, you could play an Em7 (b5) arpeggio and throw in some chromatic tones.

Also, it is a common practice to use minor 6 chords instead of simple triads.
Other chords in the progression will include Dominant chords (and their extensions) and Diminished 7 chords.

As I said previously, your melodies are not going to rely on a specific scale, but a good place to start is using arpeggios and connecting your phrases with Minor Harmonic, Dorian, Melodic Minor and Diminished lines and fills.

Try finding the score of Djangology or Douce Ambience by the great Django Reinhardt.

Hope that helps. :)
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
01/24/2009 6:14 am
Django is the man. I think the only way to really master that stuff is to play with other people who can play it, and learn from them. There is a lot of stuff you can't just learn from the theory.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.