How do I start?

kick the baby
kick the baby
12/16/2008 3:23 pm
I am stuck in a rut when it comes to writing my own material. I'v gotten to know the Ionian (major), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian (minor), and Locrain scales/modes. Should ideas for a song just come to? or are there things I should do before song-wirting? or should I try to play those modes all along the neck and get to know the fretboard better and then just mess around with those modes?
# 1
capitalalchemy
capitalalchemy
12/16/2008 4:41 pm
No brother, I really believe that scales and modes are the devil when it comes to creating. The best thing that you could ever do for your playing (which will facilitate an original style) is to round up as many albums of varying genres that you can, and jam round the clock to them. You should not be thinking about what scale or mode you are in. I know its contradictory, but if you learn to improvise, you'll be able to play anything.

Its simple, your ears know when something's major or minor. Let your ears guide you, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. You can take those mistakes and turn them into something awesome.

A really kick ass music teacher once asked my sister "why are you so afraid to improvise?" and she said "because I'm afraid of messing up". His reply was simple. He said "did you know that even if you land on a note that doesn't fit, you are only a half step away from the note that will work?".

Its so easy and I teach this stuff all the time, but unfortunately people get so wrapped up with musical theory, that its hard for them to take on new concepts, or even old standards.

A great example are the composers of the 1700s. If you were a classical composer, and another pianist was playing your piece at a concert, it was an insult if that composer did not literally improvise upon your song for the audience. Yet these guys understood theory very well, but they also understood that theory is man made and music is not.

Its awesome to study these things and you have my respect for doing so, but when it comes time to be creative, set all of that aside. If you are not feeling inspired - jam to some albums - you'll get great ideas and pick up a few tricks along the way.

Some great styles to jam over are

Latin music (the best)
Afro-Cuban music
Jazz music
Metal
Blues
Rock
Country
Rap (believe it or not)
Oldies
Funk
Soul

You'll start to see how all these styles are connected, and don't believe all the bs - there's a way to use every mode in any of these styles.

Hope this is helpful to you and best of luck with your playing

http://www.guitarticles.net
# 2
pennyanmurph
pennyanmurph
12/17/2008 9:35 pm
capitalalchemy is right - A passion and feeling for what you are writing about is just as important, if not more important, than being a theory whiz. I read an interview with Don Henley recently, and his advice to beginning musicians/songwriters was this: "Read books, read poetry, listen to songs of great writers. Being able to play and knowing theory is great, but there a hell of a lot more good players than there are lyricists." Find a subject that means a lot to you, and decide how you feel about it. By playing around with a just a couple scales, you can make your guitar talk in ways that you never even could with your voice. Also, play with string bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, etc. They add a lot of character. You'll be fine.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.