Artist Profile: Robben Ford

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
12/16/2008 12:33 am
Artist Profile: Robben Ford

By Hunter60

After leaving Warner, he hooked up with Stretch/GRP records where he fell into a quick comfort level. Forming a backing band called "The Blue Line", he released three CD's. After eight years, he disbanded 'The Blue Line' and recorded two more discs for Stretch. He then recorded 'Tiger Walk', an all-instrumental recording done with Keith Richards solo project rhythm section. He followed that with 'Supernatural' to round out his contractual obligation for Stretch.

Currently Ford is signed with Concord Records, an independent label. 2002 saw his release "Blue Moon", 2003 was "Keep On Running", which was a disc full of a sense of 60's rhythm and blues.

His latest release, "Truth", is, by most critics' standards, his best and most polished recording to date showing his talent as a songwriter as well as a musician.

When you look at his resume, it almost reads as if you're seeing the background of several guitarists. From early blues work to Joni Mitchell, George Harrison, Larry Carlton, Jimmy Witherspoon, Gregg Allman, David Sanborn, John Mayer, Eric Bibb, Bonnie Raitt, Phil Lesh, The LA Express, The Yellowjackets, Michael McDonald, Little Feat and Barbara Streisand (and a host of others) to his strong reputation as a solo act and remaining a "go-to" guitarist when bands are seeking something "special' for a record or tour.

When asked once in an interview about whether he liked touring or recording more, he smiled and said "All of it. I am happy doing any of it. Oh man, I just like making musicā€¦"

Yes, that's very clear. The man just likes making music.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
dan7
dan7
12/19/2008 5:27 pm
Absoluetly at the top as a performer and guitar player. Had an opportunity to open a show for him a few years back. What an experience and he's an extremely nice guy. Super talent and one that is on the top of my list as one of the greats.
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
12/31/2008 1:01 am
Thanks Dan! That's a pretty cool story and a great memory for you I'll bet. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
Nurali
Nurali
10/02/2009 10:46 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60Thanks Dan! That's a pretty cool story and a great memory for you I'll bet. :)

the only question is why there isnt any lesson "in style of" ???? I would love to hear more of his playing technics, ideas and a couple of licks...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.