soloing tone

buckethead14
buckethead14
12/07/2008 6:34 am
i play an ibanez rg2ex1, its a beggining mid range guitar, uses emg designed pickups...

i play a line 6 spider 3 useing the "riggs shred" tone and chaning it by raising the mid and slightly raising the bass and lowering the treble...

the main problem is when i start my sweep picking, which i know comes from the guitars picups because when i played an ibanez prestige on the same amp with dimarzios it sounded very clean...

so i dont want to mess with my guitar because i am saving for a new one but i am wondering what are the tone settings (eg treble, mid, bass, presence) to get a clean lead tone without all the string noise, or do i have to buy a noise gate?
Buckethead
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/07/2008 6:25 pm
It sounds like you are using too much gain and not playing cleanly. If you can't play perfectly and have high gain settings, you are going to hear every little in between noise. Try turning down the gain and your mids back up, then add some reverb and/or some echo (try both really fast slapback or delayed echo, the slapback gives you a reverb feel, but istn't echoing like reverb) then also try adding some chorus. With the effects on, it colors your tone but keeps the gain down, so it'll sound sweet and clean.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/08/2008 9:54 am
The higher the gain settings the more noise and interference. Sweep picking in particular needs lower gain settings, also try sweeping off the neck pickups. Different pickups have huge differences in tone so you will have to either tweak the amp settings or put an EQ pedal on front of it.
Forget the Spider presets, start from scratch and use your ears rather than concentrating on the dials too much. A pretty solid place to start tweaking from on your amp is with everything at about 6.5 on the dial - experiment from there.
# 3
buckethead14
buckethead14
12/09/2008 2:31 am
im going both of those pretty soon
Buckethead
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.