View post (Major, Minor, Diminished)

View thread

zeb985
zeb985
12/18/2001 5:21 pm
How can i determine if a chord is Major, Minor, or Diminished. I Know if i take the root, third and fifth of a major scale it gives me those chords but I dont understand how to tell which one it is. Does it deppend on how many major and minor notes are in the chord? Or does it depend on how many half-steps thier are in between each note? Also if the diminished note is in the chord does that make it a diminished chord?

I really dont know how to put this question into words but here is my best shot. On a AMaj scale An AMaj chord is
A-C#-E does this chord have to follow this exact pattern or when I place the notes can I place it in a pattern like: (from low to high) A-E-C#, or can i change it totally around like C#-E-A.

Last question how can i tell when i can play a chord within the scale. For example if I'm playing through AMaj scale
A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A and I'M using this progression is the only time i can use the Amaj Chord is when I land on the
A-Note. For example if I pick A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G# the next note being A is this the best time for me to use an AMaj chord?

I Wanted to also thank everyone for helping me out. I've posted threads in the past and with all of your comments you have helped me to understand and see things more clearly. THANKS ALL!!!!!!
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.