12/07/2008 3:08 am
Originally Posted by: gmixstudioshi there I am writing songs on acoustic
and I have hit a brick wall they all sound the same
I want to do some acoustic stuff thais a bit more ballsy
a bit funky but don't know where to start
I'm fine with basis of chords and write based on that been playing
since feb

I think there are 2 common brick walls that people run in to:

1. Trying to write a song in a certain style or akin to a certain artists style. If you do that you're doomed to averageness and songs you don't much like.

2. Not re-writing material...Most great songwriters are ruthless re-writers. If you noodle something out and put together a verse/chorus structure, that may not be a song per se, just elements of a songs.

I feel the key is to listen to what you feel is ear catching in the newly minted song and start re-working from there. Few song happen organically despite the few you hear about in interviews. Paul Simon, a great songwriter, said 'Who ever said songwriting was easy?'.

Not sure what to say about what to listen to. I'm a big believer that playing should often be accompanied with a groove, at least when you're not practicing technique. Something like Sony/Acid's R&B loops is cheap and good for building a groove to play to. It also helps build your timing by playing in time.

I wouldn't direct you to acoustic players for inspiration but listen to lots of old P-Funk, early Prince or Stevie Wonder from the Early to mid 70's (ie - Songs in the Key of Life). Listening and even playing along with them even if you aren't playing the songs kind of gives you a sense of the songs and changes and grooves.

Writing is a tough art and doesn't often come easy but hearing what does work is a great thing, I think.