To palm mute, or not to palm mute that is the question

Hjorvard
Hjorvard
11/17/2008 5:47 am
Okay when playing leads using amplification, if done too quickly the notes become slurred and muddy. The key of course is to make each note sound as clean as possible. One method I know is to slow down and play each note evenly and cleanly and watch what the picking hand is doing, but I was thinking...is it a good idea to mute the strings as you play a lead so they ring out individually?
# 1
MikeFairbrother
MikeFairbrother
11/17/2008 10:33 pm
This might lie in the area of personal preference and what exactly you want it to sound like. However, yeah, muting the strings when playing a lead is an excellent idea. I keep my pick-hand palm-edge lightly on the strings at the bridge dampening any strings not being used... sometimes throwing out my pinky to dampen the 1st & 2nd strings when descending to the others.
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/18/2008 2:25 am
Eventually, you'll get to the point where you're subconsciously muting strings all the time as you play. Over time, you start to develop little tricks and techniques like palm muting or muting individual strings with your right and left hands. So yes, it's a good idea to mute strings as you play...however, keep in mind that it might take a long time to remember all the various muting techniques for each lead you play.

What I usually do is play through a solo slowly and figure out the most efficient way to get around the fretboard. Then what strings make the lead sound more interesting (a G string sounds completely different than a B string playing the same note), then what noises are being made and how I can get rid of them.
Then I'll go through the lead enough times that I don't have to consciously think about techniques as I'm playing. You want to get to the point where you're able to get into the feel of what you're doing without the technical details getting in the way.
# 3
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
11/18/2008 6:46 am
Country pickers call this blocking strings, and palm muting. It's done the same way though, I've got a reshoot going up soon that shows some of this technique.

It is definitely a good technique to learn, and will be useful no matter what you're playing. I palm mute quite a bit, and like Kevin also use the fretboard hand to block strings.

JD
# 4
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
11/18/2008 8:09 am
Hmmm interesting. I'll have to be more conscious about doing such things. Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.