View post (Is this normal?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
11/23/2008 4:07 pm
Originally Posted by: MikeFairbrotherUsing a quote from the Wiki article on Carpal Tunnel: "Reduce your force and relax your grip." My picking hand used to cramp up on me frequently the first year I started playing. Then, a fellow guitarist adviced me to consciously remember to relax my picking hand while playing every few minutes... there should be no tension. I have had no problems since.

New guy, first post...long time player. I'm teaching my wife to play from absolute zero beginner. One thing I told her about playing after she was talking about how difficult it was to fret chords and notes; playing should never be uncomfortable...ever.

If a person is a newer player and trying to master advanced techniques or techniques requiring stamina (ie - speed), you, the person in the OP, need to look at how you're approaching your picking.

If your picking 'wrong', you'll likely feel that you're squeezing the pick and feel the muscles contracting in your upper forearm. You'd also likely be using more wrist movement with picking strokes.

I'd told my wife that the more you use larger muscle group in picking, the easier it is. Less fatigue.

If you've studied up on circular alternate picking, you notice that lots of players tend to use the slight movement of the whole arm in a very slight 'sawing' motion and using the pinky as an 'anchor' of sorts on the pickguard area under the string to manage the movement, picking and muting of the sawing motion. In using the slight movement of larger muscle group, you will have less, if no, fatigue since the small amount of movement is easily handled.

Don't know that this helps but thought I'd jump in and share from a good few years of playing and as a one time shredder.