HELP ME

Strat rock
Strat rock
12/09/2001 8:38 pm
I'm 14 and I have THE most stubborn father. I need help to convince him I need an new amp. Right now I have a little pignose and he thinks I'm just fine with that. for christmas I want a new marshal amp. not a big one just a 30 watt amp, and he thinks that would be okay if I was in a band but, that wouldnt be if I was. Can someone help me on what I should say to him? Please
Rock on
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
12/09/2001 9:30 pm
Man, the pignose!!! It is an awesome amp! the rolling stones have recorded with it!
I think your father is right, because you don't need much power to rehearse in your room... If you get a band, then the buy will be worth it, you'll even need a bigger combo, to cut through the drums...
I have bought a big amp when i was your age, and it sucked, bacause I could never turn it up as loud as I wanted to... So, enjoy your little one, and get a band, most parents think it's a waste of time!
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/10/2001 4:20 am
The players who get awesome sounds are the ones who know their gear inside out from spending so much time with it. The great thing about a [u]good[/u] small amp like your Pignose, is that you can crank it up to get that ballsy sound wherever you practice. When you need to make it louder, you can mic it into your PA mix, or run DI. And the money you save by not buying a bigger amp (that you can't really use), you can spend later for a monster PA amp and mixer that you can build a band around.

You don't get distracted by trying to sort out which amp settings work best in each venu. You can use the same settings everywhere!

I know a big Marshall, or Fender, or Mesa looks like [u]thee[/u] thing to have when you're 14 and ready to take on the world. The truth seems less exciting, but the [u]music[/u]'s the real thing, not how big or flashy your gear is.

Read through this stuff http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2086 and take some time to think it through.

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
12/10/2001 5:14 pm
You want to have an amp that inspires you. If your not satisfied with the sound coming out of your amp your not going to be inspired to pick up the guitar and play, and therefor your never going to get better, and never be good enough to join a band. Good Luck p.s...30watts is not a lot of power, that doesn't seem like too much to ask for, if your playing in a band your gonna at least need 60-100watts to be heard over the drummer! (young drummers like to hit hard and basements and garages have some dense reverberation)
# 4
trebledamage
trebledamage
12/13/2001 1:13 am
Tell your dad that you want a Marshall stack, take him to the music store, and then start playing the sickest Nu-Metal you can think of throughout the store. Then tell him you put a down payment on the stack. Your Dad will surely be happy to compromise and agree to the purchase of the 30 watt Marshall instead. Or worse, tell him that you're thinking of switching to the drums !!! Seriously though, why do you need your dad to buy you a new amp? Get a part time job, save up your money, and buy it yourself. I believe fourteen is old enough to get working papers.
:cool:
# 5
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/16/2001 3:16 am
Snow Shovel, Lawnmower, Paper Route, Bag Boy, Manure Shoveler, blood sweat and tears, hummin and bummin, scrimpin, scrapin and saving every penny you can find, impress the old man with your determination and maybe he'll kick in some cash when he see's you mean bussiness
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/16/2001 3:37 am
when I was thirteen I made a motion picture out of lumps of clay
When I was fourteen, I pulled some weeds and bought a four string, tought myself to play

Even Les Claypool has been where you are now.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
12/16/2001 3:37 am
why not learn your dads favorite song on guitar? That will impress him.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.