Reed Customs Handmade guitar effect pedalboard

Silimtao
Silimtao
10/09/2008 11:21 pm
Reed Customs Handmade guitar effect pedalboard
The above pic is from the Ebay ad.

Bought on Ebay. $25+ $15 s/h.

Pros:

Solid construction, beautiful finish, simple yet well thought out design.

Cons:

Personally, I wish it was angled up a bit higher. When standing with a guitar, I think this would make it easier to stomp the pedals. I often sit on a stool right over the board, so this isn't a major thing for me.

Tech Support:

It's a simple board, none needed. Built like a tank. If you manage to break this board, I don't see how you could possibly blame Reed. After I sent the seller a pic of the board with my pedals scattered about on it, he wrote back with suggestions on how to possibly better chain the pedals, and even sent a schematic on one of my pedals to explain the reasoning behind its placement. I told him I put the pedals on for purposes of the pic only, but I thought it was pretty cool of him to take the time to write back. It wasn't as if he was trying to push another board on me.

Review:

Way,back, I had started a thread asking if anyone made their own pedalboard, thinking I could hammer a couple of boards together. I then bought an Electro-Harmonix pedal bag, which was a major mistake, because there was nothing solid in the bag itself; with the pedals in the bag and on the floor, it was no different than having my pedals loosely scattered about. With the bag zipped, the pedals would just bang around against each other. So I went searching on Ebay for an affordable pedalboard. Initially, I was looking at metal suitcase-type boards, but then I thought, chances are, I'll be leaving the case open, and things will be messy. Then I saw the Reed Board. It was advertised as a prototype, and quite frankly, I simply loved the aesthetics of the board; a beautiful dark mahogony, and you can clearly see the grain of the board. There's good quality velcro on the board, and it came with some strips of velcro for you to place on your pedals if necessary. Pedals are rock solid, once velcro-ed on. From the ad:

>>This prototype pedal board is made from 3/4" pine plywood, hand sanded smooth, then stained a rich mahogany color and has 3 coats of polyurethane. Plenty of Velcro tape on it and comes with about 3' of hook tape for your pedals. A 1.5" riser takes the back of the board off the floor allowing you to stomp your boxes more readily.

There is a 2.25"h 13"L tier along the back left of the pedal board with room for 4 standard sized pedals. I used 1x2 hardwood with an open strip in the middle to accommodate power and patch cords. Along the bottom of the board there is room for 4-5 standard sized pedals plus room on the far right for wah and volume pedals.

Dimensions: 24"w x 13"d x 4.5" h

All hand drilled, glued and put together with heavy wood screws and wood glue. Very heavy duty, this will last you years and years. I'm certain that you could throw this against a wall and it'd do more damage to the wall than the board. <<

This is a large board, enough for you to put a lot of pedals on here and room also for your DC power supply, tuner etc. If you have a front/ side loaded DC power supply you could slide it under the tier and free up more room on the top right.<<

Summary:

I wrote this review partly as an extension of my thread about building your own pedalboard- I never would have gotten around to doing it myself, and, if I did, I doubt it would have looked half as nice. Also, this board is a bit of a departure from boards most of us are familiar with. Is it gig worthy? Well, it's sturdy as hell, and it just fits into my Electro-Harmonix pedal-bag- the board is laying in the bag in the top pic. But most of us are home-based players, and if you want a cheap, but sturdy board, this does the job well. I can leave my board out (which just happens to match my mahogany couch, and it's not an eye-sore). If I don't leave my guitars and pedals out, I simply don't play. I can easily tuck it under my couch. A board built by a guitar player. Nice job. Just what I was looking for.

Note: I deliberately left the seller's Ebay username out, as I didn't want to break any spam rules here. But I'm sure if you do a search in Ebay, you'll find it.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.