Gentle Giant

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/02/2001 9:55 pm
I was wondering if someone here likes Gentle Giant.. or at least if anyone in here knows Gentle Giant *LOL* :)

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/20/2003 11:12 am
i take that as a NO *LOL*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/22/2003 6:05 am
Isn't the Gentle Giant the guy on those bags of frozen vegetables?:D

Sorry, I've never heard of him....

~Incidents
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/22/2003 6:07 am
LOL! Gentle Giant is a Prog Rock band of the 70ies .. pretty complex and amazing stuff - like yes or cream or king crimson.. my guitarteacher said once "they are like dream theater of the seventies"

# 4
Ego
Ego
08/22/2003 7:10 pm
Wasn't a guy named Huff the guitarist?
# 5
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
08/22/2003 10:52 pm
What exactly is Progressive Rock?
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 6
The Other One
The Other One
08/22/2003 11:34 pm
YEA PROG ROCK BABY!!!!GENTLE GIANT ROCKS!!!MAN THEY HAVE TALENT!!! MY DAD HAS SEEN THEM BEFORE AND THEY KIK MAJOR *** FROM THE SOUNDS OF THEM!!!!O YEA AND I ALSO LOVE YES, KING CRIMSON, old GENESIS (not the pop ones), and other prog rock ill probably listen to
....What a long, strange trip its been.....
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/22/2003 11:40 pm
Please refrain from using caps, it's an eyesore to read a message filled with capital letters. I understand that you're happy, but check out our long list of smiley's that are available to you for use of excitement/happiness (for example- :D :) ). Don't worry about it, no biggie.

~Incidents
# 8
The Other One
The Other One
08/22/2003 11:41 pm
o prog rock is short for progressive rock which means a more complex type of music than popular music (progressive music has never really been popular because of the neglect it gets because it has more than the sheer simplicity of the music that normal mortals are used to) there are actually alot of types of progressiv (Classic Prog, Prog Rock, Prog Metal) but my fav prog bands are Rush, Genesis, Yes, and Gentle Giant...someday i wish to master progressive only with a harder edge (progressive metal)....
# 9
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
08/22/2003 11:43 pm
Well i don't want to know what your favorite progressive rock bands are because I don't care, and you didn't really help answer my question of what it is.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 10
The Other One
The Other One
08/22/2003 11:45 pm
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
Please refrain from using caps, it's an eyesore to read a message filled with capital letters. I understand that you're happy, but check out our long list of smiley's that are available to you for use of excitement/happiness (for example- :D :) ). Don't worry about it, no biggie.

~Incidents

Ok, sorry im somewhat new i'll remember that....
# 11
The Other One
The Other One
08/22/2003 11:47 pm
Originally posted by Tele Master
Well i don't want to know what your favorite progressive rock bands are because I don't care, and you didn't really help answer my question of what it is.

WELL IM SORRY IF I DONT KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN IT! IT IS SAD! i am 13 years old i kno most of you are ALOT older and i kno much more than some of you and you try to give that **** just cuz im not a good teacher...IM SORRY FOR TRYING YOU CAN BASH ME SOME MORE NOW!!!!
# 12
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/23/2003 12:09 am
Look; I'm fifteen years old, not much older than yourself. There is no need for you to post things like that on here, unless you want to get flamed (like Metalic Dude). If you want to last on these boards, you have to learn to respect your elders, and by elders, I mean those who have spent more time on this website, have more posts than you, etc. Age is not an excuse for posting like that. I'm not trying to rip on you or anything, just giving some helpful tips.

~Incidents

By the Way, Other One, check out http://www.moriartyguitars.com
Matt is known for making a custom replica of Jerry Garcia's Tiger, Wolf, and Rosebud guitars. He doesn't have pictures of Tiger/Wolf/Rosebud on that particular website, but has them posted on a Yahoo Group called Gearheads, as in "Grateful Dead Gear", not as in car parts.....:D
# 13
The Other One
The Other One
08/23/2003 3:02 am
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
Look; I'm fifteen years old, not much older than yourself. There is no need for you to post things like that on here, unless you want to get flamed (like Metalic Dude). If you want to last on these boards, you have to learn to respect your elders, and by elders, I mean those who have spent more time on this website, have more posts than you, etc. Age is not an excuse for posting like that. I'm not trying to rip on you or anything, just giving some helpful tips.

~Incidents

By the Way, Other One, check out http://www.moriartyguitars.com
Matt is known for making a custom replica of Jerry Garcia's Tiger, Wolf, and Rosebud guitars. He doesn't have pictures of Tiger/Wolf/Rosebud on that particular website, but has them posted on a Yahoo Group called Gearheads, as in "Grateful Dead Gear", not as in car parts.....:D

ok guys ill have to deal with the intolerance i guess.....ok thx for all of the help guys ok ive just been kind of well....instable...ok im kinda calm now i dont wanna start anything ok...lets just leave all this **** behind....

and BTW...wut happened to MetalicDude? o wait i remember now...

AND THX ALOT FOR THE SITE! fellow Deadhead
# 14
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/23/2003 3:07 am
Matt will be building my next guitar, he does excellent work. He recently moved to New York City, and is still in the process of opening his shop again; Very nice guy, knows everything there is to know about guitars.

~Incidents
# 15
andy82
andy82
08/23/2003 3:08 am
Caps and tantrums... :D lol

I like prog rock too, I'd reckon those guys just start the recorder on start jamming cause as far as chord structures concerned it all over the place, compared to "normal" songs prog rock doesn't repeat (e.g verse chorus verse chorus). Which is great to hear if done properly cause the music has various moods, slow then fast then slow etc, quiet then loud.. alternates frequently.

Well I don't know the textbook definition but that's my interpretation :)

Btw where can you get definitions of styles? e.g. alternative (wtf is that?), grunge (wtf is that x2), hmm what else is there? What would you call Yngwie's style? Classical rock or Baroque (is that how you spell it?). Give me some example :)
# 16
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/23/2003 5:51 pm
well - "Progressive" means advanced, evoled, new, etc.

Here is what http://hem.passagen.se says about progressive rock:

Progressive Rock music is exactly what it says it is, music that follows traditional Rock music instrumentation for the most part, yet is prepared to take ideas further than the confines of the pop or rock song. Different bands acheive this in a variety of different ways, through either the use and embracement of new technologies, through the use of lyrics that stimulate the imagination and consciousness, through the development of musical themes, the use of different time signatures, dynamics, and arrangements of innovation. Progressive Rock is sometimes "Classical" in sound, sometimes very heavy, it usually relies on the skill of musicians (but not always). It promotes the use of instrumental sections and entire pieces, encourages experimentation. Musical influences range from Folk, thru Classical, jazz and of course Rock music. The length of pieces is not confined to 4 minute songs, and the rhyhmic feel is not always designed for dancing. Its primary purpose in life is for listening, its not background music usually, it's not "easy listening" music. It's a pure musical experience, which is possibly why the music press and radio stations hate it so much.

i think that hits the nail on the head

[Edited by Azrael on 08-23-2003 at 01:00 PM]

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.