Guitar suggestions for 80's Rock

CrowBlackDream8
CrowBlackDream8
09/23/2008 8:32 pm
I'm sure there are hundreds of threads on this, but since I couldn't find anything with detail as to my situation, I'd like to open my own.

I'm looking to play some music from Queensryche, Whitesnake, and Def Leppard and then some modern work like Kamelot, and Disturbed. I have a cheap (75 dollar) Synsonic now.

The guitar is alright, but the frets need to be sanded down again and the neck is bowed. I've taken it in to a tech a few times who has done what he could, but it's basically time to get some new equipment. My budget is 300 to 400 dollars. The technician sells a lot of Aria equipment, and the Mac-60 had some good reviews, though a lot of musicians end up swapping out the pickups. Something I'm not skilled in doing. Will a stock Aria be alright? Are there other brands I should be looking at? Should I invest more money into fixing the one I have? Any advice would be great.
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/24/2008 4:04 pm
For that budget I would stay away from Aria, I never liked them personally. You could get an Ibanez at that level with stock picups and swap them out in the future when the need arises OR you could get a used Ibanez RG (a much better buy). For 80's rock/metal/shred think Ibanez, Jackson, ESP or the more modern brands like Dean and Schecter.
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/24/2008 4:18 pm
yeah, I'll second that on Aria.
You're far better off buying a name brand guitar like Gibson or Fender, even if you have to get the entry level.
# 3
LChance
LChance
09/24/2008 4:45 pm
Like everyone always says.... :p

You have to play a lot of different guitars and buy what feels and sounds right for you.

That being said, I just purchased a MIM Fender Strat 2 days ago. I simply love this guitar. With the proper technique, amp/pedals, etc., you might find another axe with as much versatility as the Strat, but I bet it'd be hard. ;)

You can get one brand new and be within your mentioned budget.
# 4
CrowBlackDream8
CrowBlackDream8
09/24/2008 5:25 pm
Thanks guys, I definitely appreciate the feedback. I went back down to the local store last night, and the store's out of Macs anyway so I couldn't even try one. I guess Aria changed distributers, and screwed him over in the deal.

I'm going to travel a bit further and see if I can test out a Fender, Ibanez, or a Gibson. My buddy has a Fender Squier which is entry-level, but better quality than my synsonic.
# 5
CrowBlackDream8
CrowBlackDream8
10/08/2008 4:35 pm
I just wanted to update everyone, and ask a few more questions. I went out and bought an Epiphone EM-1 and a Crate Flexwave 15W Combo Amplifier last night. $200 for the guitar, $129 for the amp. I paid a bit more than the online price for the amp, but I'm leery about shipping something that can be smashed easily.

The workers at Guitar Outlet will set up the guitar, and do any maintainence on it for free so long as I own the guitar. My questions are if I'll have any problems with this guitar and amp? Anything I should watch out for, and finally, was it a good deal?
# 6
mpaq
mpaq
10/10/2008 6:57 pm
Originally Posted by: CrowBlackDream8I just wanted to update everyone, and ask a few more questions. I went out and bought an Epiphone EM-1 and a Crate Flexwave 15W Combo Amplifier last night. $200 for the guitar, $129 for the amp. I paid a bit more than the online price for the amp, but I'm leery about shipping something that can be smashed easily.

The workers at Guitar Outlet will set up the guitar, and do any maintainence on it for free so long as I own the guitar. My questions are if I'll have any problems with this guitar and amp? Anything I should watch out for, and finally, was it a good deal?

I think you did great for the money. Epi makes a decent quality guitar in the lower price ranges. You will likely outgrow your amp first....i have a Crate 18w tube amp that sounds great and can be had for around $325.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.