Dear Know-It-Alls:

Silvervox
Silvervox
09/16/2008 9:01 pm
First of all, I mean "Know It All" in the most affectionate and admiring way possible. Please help me with my gear questions.

1. I have a floorboard, and I'm currently using a 10-foot instrument cable to hook it into my amp, because I just had that cable lying around. My question is does the length of the cable make any noticable difference in the sound? I'm assuming that the longer the cable, the greater the resistance. Also, do I use an instrument or speaker cable? What's the difference between the two, is it just load capacity or is there a difference in materials and construction also?

2. I have an Ibanez szr720, and although the neck pickup sounds great, the bridge sounds really thin and crappy. (I know the bridge has higher treble, etc, but this one sounds like it was hijacked from a walmart guitar.) The neck pickup is an ND1-N and the bridge pickup is an ND1-B. I'm assuming the N and B on the ends of those names stand for neck and bridge. I want to replace the bridge pickup, but also want it to blend well with the neck pickup. The guitar is made of mahogany, and pretty heavy (Not as bad as one of those Epihone Les Pauls though... I swear those are made out of cast iron.) Anyway does anyone have any suggestions on what pickup to use, or at least narrow the playing field some? I play mainly rock, usually clean, overdrive, or fuzz.

3. I'm also considering buying a Blackheart Little Giant stack. I currently play through a Vox AC50, but that magnificent b*****d weighs about as much as I do, and it's a pain in the butt (and the lumbar region) hauling that thing around. I still want some awesome tube sound, just smaller. Does anyone know anything about these (performance-wise, not all that beer-stained coctail napkin stuff). Also, any other suggestions on a small tube practice amp? Should I just wait for that awesome adjustable-wattage Egnater?

Thank you, oh great lords of tone. Oh, one final question... does anyone else just have an inexplicable urge to punch Bono???
"Keep a good head and always carry a lightbulb."
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/17/2008 1:17 am
Don't ever swap speaker cables and instrument cables! Do a search on this site with "cables" as a keyword, and you'll find stuff I've posted on this subject.

As for cable length, the resistance change is neglegible, but the >capacitance< makes a big difference.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
ren
ren
09/17/2008 7:52 am
Hmm...

Received wisdom on cables for me has always been to use as short a run as possible to maximise quality. Also, the type of cable will make a difference. I used to use planet waves cables, and got background noise that I never really thought about... then I replaced them with Van Damme cables and get zero background noise. The cables are about 4 times more expensive though.

On pickups... all my guitars have DiMarzio, and most are Ibanez. The PAF Fred Pickups in the bridges of my JS guitars are awesome, and I've fitted this pickup to other guitars with great success. Evolutions are also amazing... go to a store and play a JEM or JS to get an idea of the sound. Both guitars are basswood, so in the same family as yours, and you should get a good idea of the sound.

On amps - a good small tube amp would be a Cornford Harlequin... I have one - 6w and amazing tone, but they are boutique and expensive. A cheaper option could be the lower wattage Laney amps. I also use a THD Hotplate on my Laney TT, which brings it down to an acceptable level for use in the house...

Hope that helps... :)

Oh, and I think most people would like to punch Bono... there is a southpark episode which deals with this topic brilliantly... PM me for details ;)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
Silvervox
Silvervox
09/19/2008 6:53 pm
Thanks, guys. I had no idea that speaker cables and instrument cables were so different...
I also ended up going with the Blackheart. All the reviews I read on them were good.. I'll post a review of my own in the gear review section after I get it. I looked at the Conford, and it was... just a wee bit out of my price range. (About a grand or so.) I'll probably ask more questions when I actually attempt the pickup swap here in a few weeks...
Oh, and I'm gonna go find that South Park episode, Ren!! :)
Thanks again, guys. I think the full forum access alone is worth the subscription to this site! People keep asking me how I know all this random guitar stuff, and I tell them it's from piddlefarting around on the GT forums at work! Ha. :D
"Keep a good head and always carry a lightbulb."
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.