Samick Guitars

JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
08/14/2008 3:09 pm
Hey guys I am looking to get a decent electric guitar with a reasonable price tag. I went to my local music store and they deal with a brand called Samick. As I am relatively new to electric guitars I am not sure if this is a decent brand or not. The one I am looking at is THIS My concern is at this particular music store they do not have a guitarist on staff so none of them know how to play. I am so new to this that while i can play a few bits of songs i am not near confident enough to play it myself.Even if i did i do not know what I am supposed to be listening for to tell if it is a decent piece of equipment or if its wal-mart trash. The price tag is $250 which is about right for my first guitar I think. Hopefully I can win a real nice instrument on one of Jon's gear give a ways. But anyway please have a look at it and tell me what you think before I spend the money.
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/14/2008 7:59 pm
Originally Posted by: JStewartI went to my local music store and they deal with a brand called Samick. As I am relatively new to electric guitars I am not sure if this is a decent brand or not.

Samick is an excellent brand name. That is a fine choice of guitar. Samick is actually one of the largest musical instrument manufacturers in the world. Unbeknownst to many musicians, for years Samick made many of the low-end (but high quality) guitars for Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, etc. In the mid-90s they finally went public with their own brand and put their name on the guitars. I remember this being a big deal at a couple trade shows back then. :)

See here for specific and interesting company history:
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Samick-Musical-Instruments-Co-Ltd-Company-History.html

The only problem with that choice is that you are only getting a guitar with that $250 purchase. So, you might consider a package that includes an amp, cable, tuner, etc. to get started. Something like this, most under $250:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c594--Electric_Guitar_Packs

Hope this helps, have fun with it!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
08/17/2008 1:57 am
Thanks for the info, the music store actually has this guitar in a kit that comes with the mb-2 model guitar, a 10 watt Samick amp, chord etc. for $250. Guess i found my first electric :) Ofcourse i will have to upgrade the amp as I am sure 10 watts probably does not sound that great but hey its a start!
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.